3D Printing Nose Cone - Round 2

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wschmiedlin

Reaction score
Attempting to print another nose cone, this time using a slightly different approach.

I'm using Simplify3D. The bottom / base of the print will use both an outer perimeter (2 shells) and a thin infill with a single inner shell. After the transition, I want to switch to an outer perimeter only print (2 walls).

I have set the infill to 0%, and setup two different print processes each defined to only print at specific model heights. The problem is that I can't find a way to only print the outer shells, and not the inner shell. The model is drawn with a .125" wall, and that is a bit thick. I know there is a way to do it, but I can't find the correct combination of settings.

upload_2019-5-23_22-50-9.png

Not an expert though I have use S3D for many years, but I don't know how to do what you want. I would have to alter the model to thin the wall. You could try switching that section to vase mode, but that would just give you a single wall.

Thanks. May have to just thin the wall.

I wonder if I make the top solid in the model, the slicer will do as I need?

Found a solution:

Under the advanced tab, set the slicing behavior to "Merge all outlines..." then remove infill (0%), turn off everything in the Additions tab, and finally set bottom solid layers to zero.

upload_2019-5-27_19-38-12.png

upload_2019-5-27_19-37-0.png

hey I have this first attempt at a 3-d printed nose cone and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions? IMG_20190625_221144.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20190625_221144.jpg
    IMG_20190625_221144.jpg
    288.6 KB · Views: 59
Do us all a favor and get some better pictures for starters. My eyes are terrible to begin with and the marble and glare background made me look twice to see what it even was. From what I can see, it "looks" good, but could easily be a thinner than paper shell with only that view available. Helps to put either a ruler or common object of known size nearby for scale. And, speaking of scale, if you have one, knowing the actual weight is helpful. What type/brand of filament, and if you care to, share printer/settings. This is not meant to be critical in any way, just trying to help..Ya gotta give us more info is what I'm saying...

Last edited:
Well, several months later and with a printer now with updated firmware... we are printing V2.3 in PETG. Lots of playing with the post processing to get the best wall results and a solid shoulder at the tube transition.20190829_224951.jpg

Back