Nose cone painting

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SDramstad

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Just ran across something strange. I have been building some upscale Goonies which need some weight in the nosecones. I put 1 to 2 ounces of BBs in the nosecones and poured in a shot of West epoxy and let it set up over night. Took them to the paint booth the next day and gave it a couple coats of primer and then a coat of color and this happened.

nose 1.jpg

Shiny where the epoxy was and dull everywhere else........
It finally hit me that the epoxy gets warm when it sets up. Could that make a difference? So I hit it with a heat gun and laid down another coat.

nose2.jpg

Except for a few spots I missed the whole thing is now shiny. So from here on out, Loc style nosecones are going to get heat treated before painting. Any one else do this?

Any plastic cone, I run a propane or now butane mini torch over the whole surface. Then lightly sand the cone. The flame changes the outer layer of the cone (or so it was explained to me by some sciency guy...) so it accepts paint better.
The new LOC black 4" plastic cones are super slippery. So slippery that my perpetually calloused and dry hands hands have a hard time gripping them. After the flame treatment, I can grip them much easier. That being said, since my new LOC Goblin has a cone that's already black, I see no need to paint it... ;);)

Any plastic cone, I run a propane or now butane mini torch over the whole surface. Then lightly sand the cone. The flame changes the outer layer of the cone (or so it was explained to me by some sciency guy...) so it accepts paint better.
The new LOC black 4" plastic cones are super slippery. So slippery that my perpetually calloused and dry hands hands have a hard time gripping them. After the flame treatment, I can grip them much easier. That being said, since my new LOC Goblin has a cone that's already black, I see no need to paint it... ;);)
You can use an adhesion promotor. Sand first and spray

Well adhesion promoter is just one more thing I’d have to keep around, and I always have a mini torch handy, so flames… Plus the whole working with fire thing😂😂

Back