Nose Cone Paint Design

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dad of Sapling

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience or ideas on how to achieve this type of design on a nose cone? I'm currently building a Mini Honest John and want to do a paint scheme that is not the typical olive drab.
Screenshot 2022-03-15 182740.png

careful masking with 3M auto painters thin-line tape,
1. spray the entire nosecone with the dark gray paint first, mask those areas off, then paint the black sections.
2. For the gold tip, they have gold/mirror pens out now that look like a standard marker pen but leave a plating type of finish, ads are on FB all the time.

I've never gone to this level of detail, but if I were to try... I'd use a small o-ring plus a card-stock blocker with a slightly later hole diameter to prevent over spray. When the tip paint is cured, push the o-ring further down the NC to break any paint bonds then roll it off the tip. Wet sand and clear coat. It might work or it might not. IDK, honestly.

I've never gone to this level of detail, but if I were to try... I'd use a small o-ring plus a card-stock blocker with a slightly later hole diameter to prevent over spray. When the tip paint is cured, push the o-ring further down the NC to break any paint bonds then roll it off the tip. Wet sand and clear coat. It might work or it might not. IDK, honestly.
I have done something like this and can confirm that this method works.

Back