Nose Cone Hook

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sluggo

Reaction score
I know BABAR doesn't trust the hook at the base of the nosecone. Who here uses that hook and who doesn't.?? If not, what's your workaround, or, what's your technique when it comes to latching the chute and shock cord.??

For plastic nose cones I use the hook. But that's exclusively for elastic shock cords, which greatly reduce the shock on the attachment. For Kevlar shock cords (which I never use) I might do differently.

The standard alternative for plastic nose cones is two holes in the shoulder; on on the diagonal and one at the bottom, and thread the cord through there.

I know BABAR doesn't trust the hook at the base of the nosecone. Who here uses that hook and who doesn't.?? If not, what's your workaround, or, what's your technique when it comes to latching the chute and shock cord.??
Good question. I myself don't trust the hook. Neil W way is what I do.

I don't trust them either. Especially on older rockets where the plastic has become brittle.

Simplest solution is to cut off the hook and drill a hole or holes in the nose cone and fish the line through there. If you are hurting for space like on a Baby Bertha or Big Daddy, simply cut off the bottom of the nose cone leaving a small shoulder and insert a bulkhead with a screw eye.

Nosecone 1.jpgNosecone 2.jpgNosecone 3.jpgnc2.jpg

Last edited:
My most recent method is to cut off the base and install a bulkhead against the inside shoulder. Flatten two opposite sides of the bulkhead to make insertion easier. Apply epoxy. Pull string to seat. Make sure all the bulkhead edges are sealed with epoxy to avoid pressurising the nose cone.

DSCF8748 (FILEminimizer).JPG

I was genuinely surprised by BABAR's post and that anyone considers them unreliable. I have never once in 23 years had a problem with just using the plastic eyelets on commercial noses. I've had a few come apart where the eyelet was a separate piece glued into the nose base, but that's on me for not doing proper surface prep or not using the proper adhesive.

I was genuinely surprised by BABAR's post and that anyone considers them unreliable. I have never once in 23 years had a problem with just using the plastic eyelets on commercial noses. I've had a few come apart where the eyelet was a separate piece glued into the nose base, but that's on me for not doing proper surface prep or not using the proper adhesive.

You are lucky. I’ve had literally a dozen or more break. Less so with longer elastic shock cords but it still happens.

I got a box of BT-5 cones from Apogee and had several break (it was a garage sale item, everything else I have gotten from Apogee has been top notch.). I had another molded one, ?. BT-50 ? where you had to punch out the center hole, that also broke but I can’t remember name or vender. It broke off after a few flights

Particularly if a flyer is adding a lot of metal nose weight, still seem advisable to see try to fix an attachment into the mass of nose weight itself, instead of (or even better, in addition to) an attachment to the cone.

Just my experience. I am happy that it hasn’t been yours!

You are lucky. I’ve had literally a dozen or more break. Less so with longer elastic shock cords but it still happens.
Dozens.?? In all due respect.... Are you a slow learner.?? And how have you made that problem go away.??

I attach a kevlar leader to the nose cone hook, and the parachute/shock cord are attached to kevlar loop, (not the nose cone). Nose cone will just be floating, no stress to the plastic loop.

If for some odd reason the cone loop broke, the rocket/cord/chute would still be attached. Nose cone would freefall.

High power or heavy nose weight, I would drill out the nose cone and run a strap through two holes in the base.

I have always used the hook and small swivel on LP rockets. I have never had one break yet.

I don't trust them either. Especially on older rockets where the plastic has become brittle.

Simplest solution is to cut off the hook and drill a hole or holes in the nose cone and fish the line through there. If you are hurting for space like on a Baby Bertha or Big Daddy, simply cut off the bottom of the nose cone leaving a small shoulder and insert a bulkhead with a screw eye.

View attachment 445681View attachment 445682View attachment 445683View attachment 445684
It depends on nose cone, small noses for smaller body tubes where it is a thin little round hook that looks like you can crack it with your fingers no, I had one go. But bigger nose cones, BT60 maybe and higher, where the hook is 1/2 rectangle, almost like the yellow one picture .YES.. Big Daddy, really, that is one, big, thick hook. I can not do a bulk head..no tools. So I cut two holes and thread elastic. Just did it for Custom Elite, really thin hook.

I've had several break. If the nose cone has a removeable base, I cut off the plastic loop and put a washer inside the base. I then thread 1/8 inch bungee chord through the base and washer and tie a knot. If you don't want added weight, there are plastic and aluminum washers.

I've had several break. If the nose cone has a removeable base, I cut off the plastic loop and put a washer inside the base. I then thread 1/8 inch bungee chord through the base and washer and tie a knot. If you don't want added weight, there are plastic and aluminum washers.
So you epoxy, glue washer inside the base, to strengthen the plastic base hole? Preventing further cracking? Is thee something as 1/8 inch bungee cord?

I attach a kevlar leader to the nose cone hook, and the parachute/shock cord are attached to kevlar loop, (not the nose cone). Nose cone will just be floating, no stress to the plastic loop.

If for some odd reason the cone loop broke, the rocket/cord/chute would still be attached. Nose cone would freefall.

High power or heavy nose weight, I would drill out the nose cone and run a strap through two holes in the base.
Correct me if I'm wrong but you are still attached to the hook at ejection. That's where and when the stress happens.

Back