Nose cone ballast. Plumber's putty?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Be careful with the clay that Estes gives you. We flew my son's Flip Flyer on a hot day after it had been in the car most of the day. The rocket was on its side. Didn't realize that the clay softened enough to flow and migrate from the nose tip to spreading out all over the side that was down. This caused a particularly interesting flight.

Doesn't plumber's putty dry out, harden and crack over time?
It says on the package, specifically, that it will not crack, separate, crumble, harden, or shrink. They've been using it for a very long time. Plumbers wouldn't use it if it wasn't durable.
The reason I thought of plumbers putty is I use it as a pellet trap for airguns. I've had a large chunk sitting out for more than a year and it seems fine.
Your rocket will most likely get lost or damaged before the plumbers putty goes bad.
I can't speak for other plumber's putty, but the Oatey and another brand I used (not sure what) both seem good.

Last edited:
Plumber's putty vs. Estes clay:
I got the Estes clay in the mail yesterday.
I'm more impressed with it than I thought I'd be, but compared to the plumber's putty:
The plumber's putty is more malleable, heavier and sticks better. Not a huge difference but, without further testing, I'd go with plumber's putty over Estes clay.
I haven't done any temperature testing, but as someone else stated, Estes clay softens dramatically in heat. More testing needs to be done with the plumber's putty, but I'm feeling pretty confident in using it as a substitute for Estes clay.
One test I might do, that requires ruining a nose cone, is to cut off the end of a nose cone, run a string through it, tie a knot on the end, so it can't pull back through, pack some putty into the nose cone (trying not to come in contact with string), and then swing it around my head, at high speed. This would create centrifugal force, trying to pull the putty out. If it still doesn't come out, then I'd feel confident using it on some fairly powerful rockets.
I might go out in a large open area for that test. I can see the nosecone coming off and breaking something.

Just so I don't mislead anyone, I just went downstairs to examine the putty I'm using to stop airgun pellets.
On one trap, all putty from, at least three packages, seems to still be in perfect condition, and I'm guessing it's up to two years old.
On the other trap, the newest container I added, about 9 months ago, does seem to be a dried out and crumbly, but the rest are still good.
All are probably Oatey, since that's what everyone sells, but I'm not 100% sure.
So it is actually the newest putty that dried out the most. Not sure what to think about that. Bad batch?
I might point out that inside a nose cone the putty is going to be less exposed to the air.

It says on the package, specifically, that it will not crack, separate, crumble, harden, or shrink. They've been using it for a very long time. Plumbers wouldn't use it if it wasn't durable.
That's what the instructions said on the plumber's putty in post #26.
Look at the picture.
So much for instructions.

Not sure what Estes charges for their clay but the clay has to be expensive. In two kits I built with Estes clay, the clay was hard..so I assumed old. So I vote for Plumbers Putty, Play Dough or any modeling clay for Model rockets A-D powered. Everyone has over think this issue. But cheaper also just some epoxy..since epoxy is heavy.

Back