Northern Lights!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MetMan

Reaction score
Good display tonight in upstate NY. Clouds coming off the lake are interfering, but hopefully clear skies where you are. Over 90 degree coverage!

Woah. Same here. Didn't know the lights came this far south! Beautiful!

I've heard that they are real good!!! Problem is some trees are in the way and I can't (yet) get out to a better location

Just a quick question . . . what color are they, there in New York? Up here in Anchorage, we tend to get more of the green hues, with reds & blues coming late in the winter. Up in Fairbanks, they seem to get most of the colors, something like 250 days of the year.

We have some reds and mostly whits with a few greens here in Michigan!

Cool display very bright directly overhead.

All the rays point overhead.

One big streak down the middle east to west and dancing curtain display looking south!

Gotta go back outside!

Bye

Still going this morning! Mostly greens and a little blue. Saw a little red but very rare.

The colors are related to the depth of the atmosphere penetrated by the radiation. I believe ionization of oxygen gives off red, nitrogen blue, and hydrogen green. (Strictly from memory, so I may be mistaken).

More active this morning--lots of rising flashes. KInda makes you appreciate the atmosphere!

I couldn't see anything here. Too low and/or light pollution (maybe regular pollution too). Bummer.

Saw a bit of 'em when I got home about 1am this morning. I was seeing bluish wavy "curtains" -- I've seen the "ray" type a few times, but this is the first time I saw the curtain-type auroras. Very cool.

We get visible ones here in Chicago once a year or so.

That's so cool . . .

In the middle of winter, up here, we sometimes get them so bright that it literally looks as if every light in the city is on.

Was leaving for work at 4:30 am, and we lost our power.... and guess what we saw! Blue - green - yellow - orange - some red... AWESOME.

I even saw some green ones here in Colorado...yes Colorado :)

Edward

Originally posted by vjp
I didn't see anything here in Maryland either, I guess it wasn't visible this far south.

https://www.extremeinstability.com/04-11-8.htm

I'm looking at the local newspaper and they have a pic from down the street of the lights from last night.......just north of Philly. They claim they may be visible again tonight, tuesday. Hmmm, I ducked out of taking the dogs out last night, maybe I shouldn't have. :)

Anyone interested in aurora watching needs to bookmark this site:

https://www.sel.noaa.gov/pmap/

...anytime the activity level reaches "10" or better, keep an eye out. Here in Maryland (at latitude 39.4 degrees) we only see auroral activity if the power level reaches ~300GW or better (that's been my experience, anyway) which is a REALLY solid 10.

Originally posted by vjp
Anyone interested in aurora watching needs to bookmark this site:

https://www.sel.noaa.gov/pmap/

...anytime the activity level reaches "10" or better, keep an eye out. Here in Maryland (at latitude 39.4 degrees) we only see auroral activity if the power level reaches ~300GW or better (that's been my experience, anyway) which is a REALLY solid 10.

Here are some pics I've looked at for years

https://www.geo.mtu.edu/weather/aurora/images/aurora/jan.curtis/

Simply incredible. Makes ya wanna hang out in the Yukon for awhile.

Tried to post this morning but The Forum was down.

That's three days in a row!!!

Woke up at 6:00 A.M. to the northern sky stobing green into my bedroom window!:D

Saw them last night! Was going to wake teh wife, but her being sick, and HATING the cold, thought better of it.

Will look again tonight to see if there is some activity.

And this, as I stand on my porch, in a major (central) suburb (Lachine) of Montreal, near an airport, with mucho light pollution. I could see a whisp of a green 'thread. I moved. And soem more 'ribbons. All 'greenish' bands, that, when you focused, you could make out.

that and Orion, about the only constellation that can bee seen here in 'almost donwtown' Montreal!

Back