Quantcast

North Coast Gorilla™ shock cord system.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Dave Pritts

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Built an NCR Archer with a steel cable shock cord mount. Works great, I really like the convenience, and I have used the same idea in several scratch builds up to 3 pound rockets with great success.. Am now designing a 7.5 pound bird for L2 Cert. and would like to know if this attachment system can handle the load. Can't find any specs. on it. Has anyone used this attachment system with heavier builds?

Rocketjunkie

Addicted to APCP
Reaction score
My Motoreater uses a 1/8" cable. It's short enough that it does not extend beyond the tube - a zipper waiting to happen. This rocket weighs about 20 lb. prepped but not including motors (up to a 54 and 8 29's). 72 flights and counting :) I unwrap the ends of the cable to make the loop. See attached pics. I use a quick link to attach the nylon shock cord.
ww1.jpgww2.jpgww3.jpgww4.jpgww5.jpgww6.jpgww7.jpg

OverTheTop

Reaction score
I have a Cosmodrome Rocketry Nike Apache that used a similar system. 1.6mm stainless steel wire. I have always thought it was a good system but I have never moved it into the HPR domain. No reason in particular, as I think it is a good idea for some rockets. The wire rope would need to be sized appropriately, of course.

Zbench

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
You can buy various thickness of steel braided cable on Amazon and the crimping tool to match. I use that system in most of my mid and smaller high power builds. The closures that you crimp are made of solid copper and are cable size dependent. I weave it through the motor mount forward facing bulkhead and epoxy it in place and form a Y in the rocket tube with a loop that I can birds mouth any sort of short cord to I want.

Its very versatile and if you use several closures, impossible to fail. You just need to size the cable with the expected force that will be exerted on it. The tools that you need are modestly priced and also available on Amazon. In the attached picture you can see the 1/32" and 3/64" stainless steel braided cable along with the tool that crimps them. they are rated at 115 and 270" respectively. It can also do 1/16" thick which is rated at 368#. I like stainless as it doesn't corrode from ejection gases.

Attachments