Noris 1/60 Scale Vostok

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwmzmm

Reaction score
Over at YORF, I've been detailing my build of the Noris 1/60 scale (really semi - scale) Vostok I bought from Apogee early last year. Since the kit itself
is pretty lacking in details (especially for the price sold and the size of the model), I went a "step further" and added considerable detailing myself, using
data gathered over the past year from various sources and fellow model rocketeers. The photos below shows the results. Only thing I'm kicking myself on is I should have filled the spirals on the body tubes before starting
on the paint job. Other than that, the model looks good.

Noris Vostok Model Build 009.jpg

Noris Vostok Model Build 011.jpg

Noris Vostok Model Build 012.jpg

Noris Vostok Model Build 013.jpg

Noris Vostok Model Build 014.jpg

Wow Dave!
Outstanding work! very good looking model. do you know the model mass yet and what motor(s) are you planning on flying it on?

Wonderful detail work! Great job.

Wow, that's absolutely gorgeous! Could you give a few more details on the kit and what you added to it? This may go in my build pile because I like the Vostok, but don't like making all of those cones for the strap-ons.

Wow Dave!
Outstanding work! very good looking model. do you know the model mass yet and what motor(s) are you planning on flying it on?

Wonderful detail work! Great job.

Thanks, John! It weighs only 7.5 oz, so a D12-3 and/or E30-4T should be more than enough to give a good flight. The specs on the kit box says it weighs 9 oz, so I'm not sure why there's a difference, as I added a heck of
a lot more to the model than what the kit came with. :confused: I still have to install the shock cord recovery system (the kit does come with a 4 1/2 foot long elastic shock cord). I'm configuring the model so I can build a
Voskhod upper section that is interchangeable with the Vostok (just use the same R-7 booster section). That's why I didn't install one of those antennas
that goes on one of the strap - on boosters for the Vostok version.

Wow, that's absolutely gorgeous! Could you give a few more details on the kit and what you added to it? This may go in my build pile because I like the Vostok, but don't like making all of those cones for the strap-ons.

The two photos below shows the difference between the Noris kit "as is" and
mine. You can go to Apogee's website and see a few pics of the parts/pieces
that comprise the kit. I didn't like the "detailing" of the nose shroud that came with the kit, and used what I found on a website of a Vostok paper model (yes, I said paper model!) that has plenty of details that can be printed
on paper, cut out and glued together before applying to the Noris kit.

501673871143.png

Attachments

• Noris Vostok Model Build 009.jpg
    Noris Vostok Model Build 009.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 25
Great job Dave :)
Cheers
fred

Thanks, Fred. Took a few pics of the model outside last evening (the weather has been pretty stormy lately). The finish on the model seems to
change according to the backdrop settings.

Noris Vostok Model Build 010.jpg

Noris Vostok Model Build 003.jpg

Noris Vostok Model Build 004.jpg

Noris Vostok Model Build 007.jpg

Do you have some sort of transparent material around the middle? It looks great seriously :)
Cheers
fred

Do you have some sort of transparent material around the middle? It looks great seriously :)
Cheers
fred

Yes, the Noris kit does come with a clear tubing (about a BT-60 size). If you
look at the pics of the kit on Apogee's website, you'll see it.

Dave your skill sure made that kit. I have heard less then flattering things about Noris kits.
Cheers
Fred

Dave your skill sure made that kit. I have heard less then flattering things about Noris kits.
Cheers
Fred

Which is one of the reason why I "sat" on the kit for nearly 1 1/2 years; when
receiving the kit and checking the contents, I saw it was rather "bland" (for the most part) as far as detailing and decided to gather as much data as I could. Received plenty of stuff, some on my own, many from fellow model rocketeers who sent me a CD disk with tons of pics, and from Russian based
websites as well as my old MPR plastic Vostok model I bought back in 1970 (which I still have today). I also got plenty of help (as far as the external detailing) from the paper model website.

Here's the one paper model website I used:

https://www.cardmodels-r.narod.ru/html/VostokLV-e.htm

And a pic of my old (now static display) MPC Vostok plastic model.

Noris Vostok Model Build 001.jpg

Last edited:
Which is one of the reason why I "sat" on the kit for nearly 1 1/2 years; when
receiving the kit and checking the contents, I saw it was rather "bland" (for the most part) as far as detailing and decided to gather as much data as I could. Received plenty of stuff, some on my own, many from fellow model rocketeers who sent me a CD disk with tons of pics, and from Russian based
websites as well as my old MPR plastic Vostok model I bought back in 1970 (which I still have today). I also got plenty of help (as far as the external detailing) from the paper model website.

Here's the one paper model website I used:

https://www.cardmodels-r.narod.ru/html/VostokLV-e.htm

And a pic of my old (now static display) MPC Vostok plastic model.
Thanks for the info and my congrats on a great build now I await the launch pictures :)
Cheers
Fred

Thanks for the info and my congrats on a great build now I await the launch pictures :)
Cheers
Fred

Fred,

Thanks again. BTW, is Tim Van Milligan (of Apogee) a member here? I remember before the last TRF crash he was. When I ordered the Noris Vostok
kit last year (I originally wanted the Soyuz kit, but Tim didn't have anymore,
only a few Vostoks so that's what I took), I told Tim I would make my Vostok
look a lot better than the model's pic shown on Apogee's website. If I remember correctly, his response was one like "Oh really?!"

Fred,

Thanks again. BTW, is Tim Van Milligan (of Apogee) a member here? I remember before the last TRF crash he was. When I ordered the Noris Vostok
kit last year (I originally wanted the Soyuz kit, but Tim didn't have anymore,
only a few Vostoks so that's what I took), I told Tim I would make my Vostok
look a lot better than the model's pic shown on Apogee's website. If I remember correctly, his response was one like "Oh really?!"
Im sure Tim would be pleased to see a kit he sold looking this good :) I dont think he is a member but he would be welcome if he is not. I have bought Apogee products and I have always had good service :)
:cheers:
Fred

Thanks; see you're in HPR. I wouldn't mind building the Cosmodrome kit and
seeing what I could do to it......:rolleyes:

Correct, what I build is low power kits and from there I build larger verision of it. Long time ago I build Cosmodrome kit (Vostock) then one day I had a foward closure failure came down in flames.:mad: I have another one maybe one day I would get the chance to start on it.

Correct, what I build is low power kits and from there I build larger verision of it. Long time ago I build Cosmodrome kit (Vostock) then one day I had a foward closure failure came down in flames.:mad: I have another one maybe one day I would get the chance to start on it.

One thing I've noticed when looking at the Cosmodrome website, the Vostok
kit seems to be always out of stock or otherwise unavailable. I've studied the
pdf copy of the instructions once; looks like an interesting build.

I notice that too. I was so lucky to order the Cosmodrome kit from a east coast vendor for which I don't remember the name. He told me he had only two left so I bought both of them for about 149.00 each. This kit is very intense so many details to worked on so when my Vostock came down in flames I was very upset now I just need to be motivate to work on the second Vostock.

I've noticed it too but I got lucky. It was one of the first kits I ever got. I look at it every now and then and think "some day". Right now, I could not do it justice.

I've noticed it too but I got lucky. It was one of the first kits I ever got. I look at it every now and then and think "some day". Right now, I could not do it justice.

How long have you had yours?

Ya, I'm taking alot of heat for this. :bangpan:. I'm working right now on getting my other four kits back up and running. Once that happens I've got a batch of 20 Vostoks about half way finished, I just need to get some raw materials on order....

Ya, I'm taking alot of heat for this. :bangpan:. I'm working right now on getting my other four kits back up and running. Once that happens I've got a batch of 20 Vostoks about half way finished, I just need to get some raw materials on order....

Hey Mike, thanks for chipping in! I'm not into HPR, but I have to say your kits
(especially the scale ones) look really super. Yours and others (like Sheri's
Hot Rockets) have had my mouth drooling for years (just by looking at the pics) and I hope one day to make the "next leap" so I can try some of y'all great looking scale kits.

Disclaimer: The quote I made above "(just by looking at the pics)" implies only those of the models shown in the various vendors websites, nothing else.
I'm happily married -- 15 years and going stronger everyday!! :D

Recently took a test shot of the Vostok along with my recently completed
Estes K-29 Saturn 1-B to check out a new digital camera my wife purchased.

DSC00002.jpg

great work dave. I really like the CSM on the 1B :)
Cheers
fred

great work dave. I really like the CSM on the 1B :)
Cheers
fred

Thanks, Fred! Only problem with the Saturn 1-B is I can't fly it (the clustered
engine mount isn't exactly straight along the centerline), so that means I'm
gonna have to order a SEMROC model and build ANOTHER 1/70 Saturn 1-B for
flying (the Estes K-29 pictured in my previous post will just be a static display
piece). That will be my third 1-B build in less than a year (sigh!!). I don't
want to risk the K-29 model possibly pranging under power; with this being a
vintage model (except for the Apogee Apollo capsule & RCS quads), I want to
"save it" for as long as I can.....

Got to fly the Vostok yesterday down at Needville, TX! Launch was a complete success. Used a D12-3; model weighed in at exactly 9.75 oz. Only real "problem" was the recovery harness failed (I wanted the main body section to drift in a horizontal position to prevent possible damage to the smaller venier nozzles) and I noticed the D12 engine had "slipped" about 1/2" backwards during ejection (engine hook must have torn in the BT-50 size engine mount tube). Also, some of the plastic engine nozzles were a bit deformed from the exhaust of the engine.

Some pics below; another model rocketeer who was present and is a professional photographer (David Laney) took tons of pics and should get some of the Vostok to me shortly.

Challenger 498 Sport Launch @ Needville, TX 001.jpg

Challenger 498 Sport Launch @ Needville, TX 002.jpg

Challenger 498 Sport Launch @ Needville, TX 003.jpg

Challenger 498 Sport Launch @ Needville, TX 008.jpg

Great build on a beautiful model. Your heart rate must have been sky high during the countdown!

Back