Nooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n3tjm

Papa Elf
Reaction score
Just bought a new battery for my SLR...
Installed it...
fired off a couple practice shots to check to see if it worked right...
first shots were fine... but then I noticed something funny... it would not take the shot until AFTER I let go of the shutter button... then something Worse happened....

GRUUUUNT

Screen flashes HELP!

Examine it... The mirror trap broke. It's stuck in the open posistion, and will not stay in the closed posistion when coaxed to do so...

My SLR is Dead :(
Launch is in 1 Day...

Originally posted by n3tjm
Just bought a new battery for my SLR...
Installed it...
fired off a couple practice shots to check to see if it worked right...
first shots were fine... but then I noticed something funny... it would not take the shot until AFTER I let go of the shutter button... then something Worse happened....

GRUUUUNT

Screen flashes HELP!

Examine it... The mirror trap broke. It's stuck in the open posistion, and will not stay in the closed posistion when coaxed to do so...

My SLR is Dead :(
Launch is in 1 Day...

Hey, which SLR did you get? I'll be taking black and white photography next trimester! Can't wait.

New_Camera.jpg

At work, during my break, I went to see if the camera's that we sold were compatible with my 70-210mm zoom lens; which has served my rocket launch taken needs for 10 years; and has many years left in it. Of course, it was not. Minolta's base is smaller than what the Canon's used, and right now, that is all that Target carries as far as SLR's go.

So I give Ritz Camera's a call, and told them what I need. I inquired about the body alone, and a combo with the 38-80mm lens. He first recommendation was a simpler one... Automatic only. I said that I needed manual features. So he recommended the Minolta Maxxum 70 Date, which was about $170. I asked about some of the features; but he said trust me; you'd like it. So I took his word for it; and ask him to hold one for me and I’ll come over and check it out.

So after work I stopped by the Ritz camera and took a look at it. I took their lens off and attached mine. I looked through it; and immediately feel in love with it. It felt right. It did what I wanted it to do. And it has a lot more features than my dead Maxxum 2xi. So I said I'll take it; plus the warranty.

Of course this camera did not take the same battery as my old one, so I went to target and exchanged batteries. I also bought more film. Never can have enough film.

When I got home, I got out the new camera, and instructions, and discovered all the COOL features this had :).

Film Rewinding mode that leaves the leader sticking out - great for changing rolls mainstream.

Continuous Advance - Hold the button down and it will shoot 3 frames per second until out of ammo... er... film ;)

Multiple Exposure - Take more than one shot on the same frame.

Exposure Bracketing - Fires three shots. First one normal exposure, second one overexposed, third one underexposed. Great if you need to quickly shoot something important without worrying about lighting issues (like bright (Snow) or dark objects).

Shutter Speeds - 30 Second Exposure to 1/2000th, BULB in full manual.

Built in Flash - Of course the flash I bought for my 2xi can also be used. Can manually adjust flash brightness and range :).

Date/Time Stamp - My opinion.. useless... since I develop my film on the same day I shoot it usually... Useful to check to see what time it is on the field. ;)

So many cool features, I cannot list them all. Will I ever use them all? ;)

We *used* to use Minolta SLRs, never again........their useful life without maintenance is too short.

Originally posted by Chuck Rudy
We *used* to use Minolta SLRs, never again........their useful life without maintenance is too short.

I never had a problem with them; and sold many Minolta's at work. We carried their SLR's for a while; but SLR's do not sell well at a department store it seems. Never recall seeing one come back either. I figure 10 years is a respectable life for a camera that has been to many of launches and school halls, where it meets elements that may not be to healthy for a camera. I got the extended warrenty that covers everything... so if I have a problem; I am all set :).

I never had a problem with them; I figure 10 years is a respectable life for a camera that has been to many of launches and school halls, where it meets elements that may not be to healthy for a camera.

I agree 10 years would be a solid maintenance cycle before a rebuild, I would love to have seen it, one camera made it 3 (and was a headache from t he first day we used it, I believe they had a chip problem and wouldn't admit it) the other camera made it 8, but by then Minolta couldn't (wouldn't) repair it, but offered to replace it with a poor consumer knock off and they would keep my 'worthless' equipment.......so we had nothing but problems with the two we used, and even more problems with the people in Rutherford NJ where 'professionals' were supposed to have repaired everything. I was left with about $4,000 worth of a useless camera system.

I'll gladly abuse anyone from Minolta I see, I paid a lot of money for the right.

It's too bad that 10 years is considered the useful life of an SLR. I've been shooting film for over 25 years and I shoot alot of film....in the neighboorhood of 100 rolls a year. And until 2 years ago it was all done with my Pentax K1000 I bought in 1979 and Canon AE-1 Program I bought in 1981. When Canon introduced the image stabilizing 100-300mm lense a couple of years ago I went out and bought the Canon EOS Elan 7e with a 2x converter specifically for capturing rockets and airshows. I have to say, I'm a little more cautious about taking care of this one because it just doesn't seem as bullet proof as the others.
It has features up the gazoo, and is light, but if you ever drop it, the game's over. Guess I'm just lucky that the AE-1Program was built like a tank and I continue to use it for back-up. Although they don't have all the bells and whistles, you can still find older Canons, Minoltas and Nikons on eBay. They still capture some great images and they're built to last with metal bodies instead of plastic.

Code:
https://n3tjm.crosswinds.net/Projects/New_Camera.jpg

Does anyone else see the irony of posting a picture of a new camera
while complaining about the broken one? :) How'd ya do that?

Originally posted by airwolfe1
It's too bad that 10 years is considered the useful life of an SLR.

10 years is a good maintenance life cycle, that would be time to lubricate, repair the worn parts and end up with a new camera for another 10 years. I would have been very happy to make it to the maintenance date then have a reputable facility do what they are paid to do. Unfortunately I was dealing with Minolta. and left with a lot of expensive albeit useless glass and camera carcasses.

So I give Ritz Camera's a call, and told them what I need. I inquired about the body alone, and a combo with the 38-80mm lens. He first recommendation was a simpler one... Automatic only. I said that I needed manual features. So he recommended the Minolta Maxxum 70 Date, which was about $170. I asked about some of the features; but he said trust me; you'd like it. So I took his word for it; and ask him to hold one for me and I’ll come over and check it out.

Doug, congrats on the new camera, i'm sure you'll love it.

I too ended up at a Ritz camera today. I thought i was going to a Gem Show, but when i got there the parking lot was strangely empty. Turned out i was a week early! so, i figure i'll go down to the big fancy mall (i was most of the way there already) and go to the Apple store and check out the new iMac. (VERY Cool!:cool: ) then i discovered a Ritz and they just happened to have a Nikon D70 Body (lots of places have the kit with a lens but i already have a bunch of lenses) and i just happened to have a pocket full of money for the gem show so i now have the digital SLR that i've been looking for for months. now i just need a launch to test it!:D

Nice camera Doug!

I shoot plenty of film in a year and I have four cameras I use all the time.

Argus CR-1 (the TANK!)
K 1000 (bought from my friend in the army reserve, they had a storage unit full of them and I got his commander to sell me one)
Pentax ZX-M
Pentax ZX-50

Three are all manual no autofocus and the ZX-50 is my candid camera for weddings. I have had no trouble with them at all and love them. My Argus is built just like the K 1000, a steel tank. The ZX-M is a good all manual camera. I also have my medium format camera, but that's another story. The only addition that I really like is a nice light meter. It does incidence and flash and I really like it. I wished I would have gotten it sooner.

They just don't build them like they used to. My photo teacher in HS still uses K 1000's in class, from the 70's.

I also kind of don't like the newer automagic everything cameras, somehow I think the skills of the art disappear a little with every new feature. But, I'm a purist and still am getting over my wife liking her digital camera.....humbug.

Edward

I've got a Nikon N65. While it's certainly a consumer, entry level SLR, it's quite nice. Sorry to hear about yours old one, but it's nice to see a new one,:D Nothing like new stuff!;)

I have no idea what F stop means. I don't want to know. Aperature? Whatever. I got a Minolta Maxxum XTSI about six years ago. My wife is the photographer in the family, and goes through two rolls a month, more at certain times. In six years that camera has taken maybe 6 or 7 bad photos. I have used it with high speed film and a tripod and taken pictures of Christmas lights at night, and other things that test its automatic capabilities. The modes and settings have done everything I have asked, and there are still things I haven't found a need for. I have been meaning to get a larger flash, but so far it hasn't really been necessary, because it is easier to tell the camera not to use the flash and let it adjust the settings. I don't get paid for my photos, but I can say that I have had many compliments, including guys from work who are pros or semi pros.

EDIT: Changing the attachment to a jpeg didn't do it justice. I wish you could see the print.

Latest posts

Back