Non-symmetrical nose cone

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CDN

Reaction score
I am building a kit rocket and noticed that the nose cone is not symmetrical, the tip is about 5mm off center. Since I'm building the rocket for 500+ mph is my concern valid?

Is the NC balsa or plastic? You could try sanding them. I think the off center NC would cause the rocket to not fly straight. Or I could be all wet too.

I've seen a bunch of off-center Aerotech nose cones. I haven't seen my rockets with them fly oddly, but they also haven't gone that fast.

The nose cone is plastic. Low speed it's probably not a problem. At high speed I just can't see it flying straight and if it goes unstable it would be a disaster. I think I will replace it.

I've flow a number of the plane / starship design rockets with custom nose cones. Many had offset designs, canopies etc. and have never seen and issue in any of them. While I don't push many of them to the 500 mph. mark, I have crossed that line a few times without issue. If your rocket is stable then I wouldn't worry about it.

The kit is the Aerotech Arreaux, the motor will be a G80-13T. This is my send build and is a lighter version of one I've flown many times. The objective of the build is to build lighter to increase velocity without an increase in altitude. I can use my first nose cone but want confirmation that the nose cone has to be symmetrical for higher speed. I'm new to rocketry hence the question.

Attachments

• 20221011_140413.jpg
    20221011_140413.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221011_140317.jpg
    20221011_140317.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Back