Non-Pyro system

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swarley

Reaction score
We are designing a dual deployment system for parachute which needs to be non-pyro. So, there shouldn't be flames etc. I was just thinking that if we attach a gut to the main body and heat it to release the nose cone to open up the parachute system, Would it still be a non-pyro system ? Is heating the system (but not firing or exploding it) a problem ?

What will push the nosecone off & pull the NC out.....spring?
There used to be a system that used nichrome wire that got hot and cut through monofilament fish line to release the chute, it was considered non-pyro.

Gunpowder doesn't produce flames when ignited in a confined space. Jolly Logic has spread some FUD in this area, but the ejection charge that comes with motors uses black powder, so I'm not sure how making your own ejection charge from black powder can be seen as anything different.

There are CO₂ based systems out there you can check out. I've used the Rouse-Tech system extensively, but it also uses a small amount of black powder to puncture the cylinder.

Back