Non-Laminar Airflow

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your wording was far from correct, but what you were thinking of was not strictly wrong.

Again, that is a personal fault of mine, I do apologize.

Ultimately I was trying to say that the Blackhawk was not under the force from the motor upon its downward journey. It was all from potential energy as the rocket reached apogee then turned over.

So I was using the phrase "non-ballistic" for that. Again my mistake.

Last edited:
I was talking about 3/16" cold rolled steel rod. Not all thread.

Sorry, I missed where you said it was rid, but it still applies

Stand a piece of rod on a concrete floor and put a block on the end. Push down on the block, and you see how easily it begins to bend. Once it starts to deflect, it takes less force to get it to continue

Sorry, I missed where you said it was rid, but it still applies

Stand a piece of rod on a concrete floor and put a block on the end. Push down on the block, and you see how easily it begins to bend. Once it starts to deflect, it takes less force to get it to continue

Even if it's only 1/4" in diameter, he said that it's only 1.5 inches long and it's fairly difficult to get that aspect ratio to buckle.

Even if it's only 1/4" in diameter, he said that it's only 1.5 inches long and it's fairly difficult to get that aspect ratio to buckle.

I was about to say the same thing. Unfortunately this part of the rocket went missing, I dug it out of the ground looked at the pieces. Then gathered up all the broken bulk plates then walked back to the launch site. Then transferring it to my car, it disappeared. Never to be found again, so I cannot take a picture but I swear it happened it bent more then the all threads because the all threads were parallel to the body tube. While the steel rod was not.

https://www.metalsupermarkets.com/STEEL-COLDROLLED-GUIDE

1g..jpg
Terminal velocity at 2182 on a 100degree day, with 29.96hg would be 298.7, from 0 it would take 90seconds to get there.
on a 70 degree day per the first post it's 290fps, in a shorter time.

***not sure this is correct... pretty sure my acceloration was on spot, not sure about the aero, but it seems right... i am going to play with this a few different ways.***

Last edited:
Back