Non-Essential Business

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a business owner that pays about 30-50K/week in payroll/benefits, depending on jobs. I consider hardship losing my business through foreclosure, laying off my employees, losing my house, my car, and my savings. If I fail, I turn 15-20 people to the streets, including myself and my wife.
IIRC part of the CARES act passed by Congress includes loans to small businesses that become grants (i.e. no payback required) if you keep employees on the payroll.
Also the SBA has loan programs during times of emergency. Your state guv has to apply for certification, if he/she hasn't already.
Might be helpful to your situation. Certainly worth looking into.

Your Government does not always tell you the truth. I also own a small business. We are not eligible for anything.

IIRC part of the CARES act passed by Congress includes loans to small businesses that become grants (i.e. no payback required) if you keep employees on the payroll.
Also the SBA has loan programs during times of emergency. Your state guv has to apply for certification, if he/she hasn't already.
Might be helpful to your situation. Certainly worth looking into.

Thanks for that, I applied last week.

I don't know if I qualify, or if I will get anything for my people, due to the extreme high number of businesses applying. My concern is not for the next 2.5 months, though. The 20-30% unemployed that are having a hard time collecting excess unemployment from the Feds can't buy much, just basic essentials, so there will be a spending lull coming, and it may last for a long time, especially if a lot of businesses fail.

The current monetary outflow is untenable. Government is paying out big money while tax revenue is WAY down. States are paying huge unemployment while collecting little. Mortgage companies are deferring payments, but they are still paying people, etc.. I don't even know what to say about food service, and public and higher education, where a reckoning is coming.

Obviously, I don't know what is going to happen, I just feel like it is not going to be rainbows and lollipops when there is an "all clear". I think that is when we start to find out what damage was done.

As I said before, I could be, and hope I am, wrong.

If we just have different perspectives, concerns or worries, I understand.
Not sure we disagree.

As I mentioned, for some this may be economically devastating.

Our elected officials have chosen an economic poison of uncertain severity and duration over an infectious poison that would likely kill at least 1% of the population (possibly 15% if we include those needing hospitalizations that we can't accommodate due to rapid spread overwhelming resources.) So doing nothing results in at least 3 million dead, possibly much higher.

Who's right? We may never know as the choice has been made and we won't be able to know what "would" have happened had we done otherwise.

Our government did what it gets paid to do, it made a decision. The worst thing is to make no decision at all.

My hope is that through a combination of government action AND private action we can get everybody through this economically.

thru all of this, i'm reminded of the lady who got millions for burning her crotch with hot coffee..

A lot of the regulations are due to stupidity, and someone [generally] profiteering from it..

Did you mean Liebeck; who got 3rd degree burns, skin grafts, a week in the hospital, a year or two of physical therapy, and <$600k?

Did you mean Liebeck; who got 3rd degree burns, skin grafts, a week in the hospital, a year or two of physical therapy, and <$600k?

I just know the urban myth..

the point I was trying to make was that because of some stupid or silly mistake someone made (whether intentionally or unintentionally) rules are made & applied.. And, sadly, these rules are made, but people just blindly follow them, not realizing why or from what they were derived from..

"that one bad apple ruins it for everyone else.."

I just know the urban myth..

For a majority of my life, I heard and believed the myth version also.

Only within the last year did I read the whole story of the poor woman. The PR and marketing groups did a marvelous job of turning her severe injuries and medical expense into just another example of a frivolous lawsuit.

Imagine a 747 filled to capacity cruising at 38K feet...

One passenger is deathly ill and needs immediate attention in order to survive...

That medical attention can only be given on the ground...

So the captain keys the mike and says hey folks, we have a medical emergency...

We are shutting down 3 of our engines in order to get down as soon as possible...

This has never been tried before but don't worry...

Just before we hit the ground, we will restart the other 3 engines...

Would you book a flight on that jet...

One passenger is deathly ill and needs immediate attention in order to survive...

We are shutting down 3 of our engines in order to get down as soon as possible...

This is, without a doubt, the most absurd argument by analogy I've seen so far. You're implying that blocks of 500ish people will come close to dying for every one ill person; and further that the persons in charge of epidemiology and economics are willfully opposing their training thereby endangering everyone.

So on the one hand there's you, some person. On the other hand there's the vast majority of the scientific consensus. You are not 'woke', you are as ignorant as the anti-vaxxers.

Last edited:
...This is, without a doubt, the most absurd argument by analogy I've seen so far. You're implying that...the persons in charge of epidemiology and economics don't know what they're doing...

Precisely...

Let's see...

18K deaths presently...

18M newly unemployed...

Last edited:
In other words, you don't even believe your own argument.
Sad.
Moderators, this thread has gone south thanks to the OP.
Time to shut it down, no?

Two guys are on a 4 engine commercial jet over the mid Pacific.

Captain comes on, says, "This is the Captain. Just wanted to let you know we have lost power in one engine. It is not a problem, this plane is designed to easily manage this. We will be about an hour late for landing."

10 minutes later, Captain comes on, "Just keeping you updated, we have lost a second engine. We are still within safe parameters, but we are going to be 2 hours late."

10 minutes later, Captain comes on, "Again folks, keeping you updated, we have lost a third engine. This aircraft is designed to maintain stable flight even on a single engine. We should be fine. We will be about 4 hours late."

The one passenger turns to the other and says, "Gosh, I hope we don't lose that last engine or we'll be up here forever!"

KidRocket, I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

( Now whether the TRF MODERATORS agree is another matter!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back