Nomex

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eagle_Star

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a buisness/hobby store or anywhere for that matter that sells Nomex in bulk quanities?
It would be nice to make heat shields in your own desired sizes !

8821K45
(Same as 8821K4)
Kevlar and Nomex Aramid Fabric 40" Width, .030" Thick, 6' Length
$ 88.80 Each

or is the 1000° rated fabric the right stuff?
8780K8
PBI Polybenzimidazole Fabric 60" Width, .030" Thick
$ 39.54 per Ft.

Thanks, for your responces !!
In the past I couldn't find any Nomex in bulk forms.
I was trying to find out the cheaper route for heat sheilds; Make my own or buy from Top Flight or others.

Eagle_star, welcome to the forum.

If you don't know the answer and you want to then ask away, because garanteed someone here has the info you seek. If not, we all love to brainstorm together to find the answer that will best resolve the issue at hand.

Browse through, and you will start to recognize folks that are people you fly with in Manchester too...

Sorry to dig this up, but I found it interesting. If you search on E-Bay for Nomex Flight Suit or something similar, you'll get a whole bunch of hits. Get an old grungy used one and you have several years' supply for $15 or $20. Can't beat that!

On the other hand, I find just buying them easier ;)

Originally posted by daveyfire
Sorry to dig this up, but I found it interesting. If you search on E-Bay for Nomex Flight Suit or something similar, you'll get a whole bunch of hits. Get an old grungy used one and you have several years' supply for $15 or $20. Can't beat that!

On the other hand, I find just buying them easier ;)

Yea...but I think if you look at the material of a flight suit, it's pretty thin. I used to wear em and they are not that thick.

I use (and sell) the nomex aramid strips. Here are the specs and the url link to McMaster. Get yourself some eyelets and you're done!
Form-Strips

Material
Nomex Aramid Width 4", Thickness .125,
Maximum Temperature
600° F

Nomex

One other note when using Nomex. The burn temp on these are usually around 600-1000 degrees. Don't shove them all the way up against the front of the motor if you can help it. They will burn.

I heard that the airbags inside Mercedes and BMW's and other expensive cars are made from Nomex. It seems that a local automotive body shop or junk yard might be throwing this useful stuff away. You might be able to get some Nomex for free by just asking one of these local sources.

Bruce S. Levison, NAR #69055

If anyone has ordered something from McMaster Carr that worked I would like to hear about it. I did the search on the Nomex/Kevlar fabric and tried to figure out which one of the several varieties was the one that would work the best for a heatshield, well...

P/N 8838K61 Kevlar Aramid Fabric, 40" width, 0.060 Thick

Will NOT work. I ordered 1 foot of the stuff and it is very stiff. :(

Now I have a foot of this stuff and I have no idea what to do with it.

Keep trying, there has to be something in that catalog that will work.

Goose

Originally posted by Goose_in_CO
If anyone has ordered something from McMaster Carr that worked I would like to hear about it. I did the search on the Nomex/Kevlar fabric and tried to figure out which one of the several varieties was the one that would work the best for a heatshield, well...

Goose

Nope...stuff might be good for sealing pipes at a Nuke plant...not good for rockets.

This is the stuff you want:
8796K45 .0625" This comes in 4" width
8796K55 .125" " " " "

They also sell this in wider and narrower widths.
You can also buy this by the yard although you are limited to the thinner .0625" Type. Check part number 8797K11 for this stuff.

Remember, when it comes to McMaster, check the color description. If it says black or yellow it MIGHT not be right. Most of the stuff I order is described as "Off White"

Ray,
Welcome to the forum!

As for Nomex heat shields, I've only bought pre made ones. The ones I have, came from Recovery Technologies, and are Nomex on one side, Kevlar on the other.

If you do find a cheap source for bulk, let us know.

Originally posted by Goose_in_CO

Goose

i bet you could make some GREAT fins with it!
laminate it with CF and S-Glass...
*whoa*

if you don't want it, i'll take it off your hands
:D

If you want some of your own nomex, call Gary Pletzer at Top Flight. you can have all the sizes you need, and if you nice and pay him a few he may just send you some of the scraps. great for up to 3in. I love nomex. use it for anyhitng i can fit it in

Originally posted by teflonrocketry1
I heard that the airbags inside Mercedes and BMW's and other expensive cars are made from Nomex. It seems that a local automotive body shop or junk yard might be throwing this useful stuff away. You might be able to get some Nomex for free by just asking one of these local sources.

Bruce S. Levison, NAR #69055

Airbag material is Aramid. It is also extremely thin and wire reinforced. Remember, it's primary purpose is to contain a Sodium Azide explosion. it is also airtight.

Not saying it's not worth a try....

Back