NOMEX Flight suit recycled as Chute protector?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

airwolfe1

Reaction score
I was cleaning out my closet and came across an old NOMEX Military Flight Suit from my Civil Air Patrol days. Got me thinking that this could make a great chute protector. Does anyone know it this would work...is it the same material?

If this is the same stuff, what size should I cut it for 4", 5.5" and 7.5" tubes?

Yea, I think it would work.
I remember at Aviation Challenge, an instructor held his lighter up to nomex flight suit, and it just kind of smoldered. It took about ten seconds to do that, so an ejection would not hurt that thing a bit.

I was thinking it would work, just wanted to know if anyone else had any experience with it. I think you're right, the ejection would be minor compared to lighting it.

Now if anyone knows what would be the best size for a 4", 5.5" and a 7.5" I'd be grateful. I've never used a nomex chute protector before, do you just wrap the chute in it?

Hey Tarc3, ow come your www.underdogrockets.com
link doesn't work?

Originally posted by airwolfe1
I've never used a nomex chute protector before, do you just wrap the chute in it?

Yup. It's that simple. However, I think it would be cooler to have a nomex flight suit instead of a bunch of 'chute protectors!

Were changng hosting services and the ****** cant seem to understand that I already own a website.

Originally posted by airwolfe1
Now if anyone knows what would be the best size for a 4", 5.5" and a 7.5" I'd be grateful. I've never used a nomex chute protector before, do you just wrap the chute in it?

What I would do is lay a sheet of the stuff over the top of the tubing, then mark it all the way around where it hangs over 2-3 inches. This should give you enough excess so that when the you push the chute into the tube, it'll have complete protection on the bottom and up the sides a bit.

Jason

Here's what sizes LOC makes, and the tube diameters they recommend:

3x3 - up to 1.5" tube
9x9 - up to 3" tube
12x12 - up to 4" tube
18x18 - up to 6" tube
24x24 - up to 8" tube

I've got the 18x18 and am using it with a 5.5" tube, seems about perfect.

Thanks...that was what I was looking for! I appreciate your help!!

Back