Nomex blanket attachment

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AP aroma

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm wondering about something. How do you folks attach your parachute protecting Nomex blanket to your shock cord? Do you run the cord through the small hole in the corner of the blanket? Do you tie a loop in the shock cord and use a quick-link? How far from the parachute do you attach it?

Thanks,
Jim

I'm wondering about something. How do you folks attach your parachute protecting Nomex blanket to your shock cord? Do you run the cord through the small hole in the corner of the blanket? Do you tie a loop in the shock cord and use a quick-link? How far from the parachute do you attach it?

Yes, slide it onto the shock cord, through the corner hole. From there, preferences and techniques for shielding chute from ejection charge start varying.
On smaller (<=3") airframes, I just stuff the blanket into the tube, to sit right on top of the motor mount. The Z-folded chute goes right on top of the blanket, wedging it in place so that it does get dislodged during transportation.
On larger airframes, I burrito-wrap the chute in the (much larger) Nomex blanket.

Either way, keep it simple, and do what makes sense to you. The ultimate goal is to position the Nomex blanket between the ejection charge and the chute.
The rest is up to you.

HTH,
a

I run a loop of shock cord thru the hole in the nomex and then the blanket thru the loop so it's on the SC tight. I attach it 6" to a foot below the chute attachment point.

Hi,

Thanks,
Jim

For smaller rockets and drogue chutes, I just run the shock cord through a hole in the blanket and tie a knot in the cord right around the same spot as the parachute attach point. Example with a 15" drogue and 12" blanket:

PXL_20210502_153803162.jpg

For rockets 3" to about 5" in diameter, I use these pouches from Fruity Chutes for my mains:

https://shop.fruitychutes.com/collections/parachute-liners
For heavier 5" rockets and all diameters above 5", I use deployment bags.

Are there any advantages to installing the nomex protector near the parachute vs. body tube?

I have always installed it 6" away from the body tube opening. Nose cone pulls the chute from nomex almost instantly.

I put mine on the parachute quick link and it works perfectly.

I don't tie any of my Nomex blankets. I slide the shock cord through the loop and from there after using the "Z" I place the chute in the blanket and fold it like a burrito. It seems to work pretty well, but make sure the entire chute is wrapped / covered. I the just stuff it in the airframe with the shroud lines pointing to the nose cone to allow the chute to open more freely.

On my blankets with slits in the corner, I glue them closed with CA glue, then I install a grommet . . . I attach the grommet to the shock cord.

I have taken to just using a cable tie to tie the blanket to the harness. Tie goes through the hole in the blanket. I use good quality cable ties that have a stainless barb to make sure it stays put ;). Something like Panduit Barb Ty in black. These are my favourite type of cable tie for rocketry.

Back