Nomex & 1/8" TK

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKPilot

Reaction score
Am building a LOC Onyx and am trying to find a nomex (blast) cloth and some 1/8" TK to install. I went to Giant Leap but, found their shipping far-far too expensive ($12+) for those two items.

Any recommendations on a vendor who carries both?

I just got a shipment of those two items yesterday from Apogee, but I think you'll find the shipping cost isn't much better than for Giant Leap.

I have some Nomex I can cut for you but since I'm slow, what is TK?

I have some Nomex I can cut for you but since I'm slow, what is TK?

TK = Tubular Kevlar

Also ask GL to adjust the shipping as the items are so light, They have done that for me plenty of times.

Last edited:
Initially, I need about 3 yards of TK.

As for nomex, I feel kinda silly really. I have a bunch of old AF flight suits down in the basement. Am not sure if I'll wear them anymore or not, if I go back to flight instructing. But I'm sure my deseret flight suits can be canablized.

Cost analysis: If you look on Ebay, flight suits sell for MUCH more than forest service uniforms. You'd be ahead if you sold the flight suit and bought an old uniform. Then again, flight suits come in a much more interesting array of colors... ;)

Initially, I need about 3 yards of TK.

As for nomex, I feel kinda silly really. I have a bunch of old AF flight suits down in the basement. Am not sure if I'll wear them anymore or not, if I go back to flight instructing. But I'm sure my deseret flight suits can be canablized.

FWIW, the material in flight suits doesn't hold up as well as the heavier material you can often buy as heat shields. It's too thin.

Of course, you have it, it's free, and it *will* work.

-Kevin

Back