Noisy rockets

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

master605

Reaction score
hello ha im just wondering is there a kit to make your rocket really loud when it comes off the lanch pad or some type of motor

boooossssshhhhhh

????

Depends on the size of the rocket.
There are rockets that whistle like the Estes Sreamin Mimi.
On midsize and large rockets you can use composit motors that are much louder than black powder.
Redline motors have quite a roar:D
Welcome to TRF.

Get into MPR ( Mid Power Rocketry ) And get a Aerotech starter set that includes the motors ect. The Econojet F20W has quite a roar also!
Welcome to the rocketry forum :cool:

Karl

Ohh , you can get a whistle off a rocket also . One that has 2 sets of fins . Like a Estes Phenoix or a BSD Thor. Or just scratch build one and play with designs of your own , but make sure to get something like Spacecad or Rocksim.
Karl

Correction, it should be white "lightnings" not "thunders". :rolleyes: ;) :)

Yeah the F20 is pretty loud unless it catos halfway into burn and the ejection charge lights and the motor is now burning from both ends and booster falls without chute while NC falls with chute and shock cord attached, but that is beside the point. Any rocket is loud, it just depends on how loud you want it to be. If you want it REALLY loud, strap a N motor to it. That would be LOUD!:D

I downloaded a video somewhere of a rocket that SCREEEAAAMMMEEEDDD of the pad... I wonder how they did that. Anybody have an idea?

Question: I'm just curious; could a whistle be glued on to a rocket to achieve a whisting sound?

About the thing you dwonloaded where a rocket screamed off the pad, I know that some of the BIG blue thunder motors, such as those in the L-N range have a distinctive Blue Thunder Scream. To hear what I'm talking about, go to www.gbrocketry.com and click on videos. Then click on a video that used some bluethunder motors in it. You will see what I am talking about.

Yes the whistle thing will work. That is what Estes did with their Screamin Mimi.

Originally posted by havoc821
About the thing you dwonloaded where a rocket screamed off the pad, I know that some of the BIG blue thunder motors, such as those in the L-N range have a distinctive Blue Thunder Scream. To hear what I'm talking about, go to www.gbrocketry.com and click on videos. Then click on a video that used some bluethunder motors in it. You will see what I am talking about.

Yes the whistle thing will work. That is what Estes did with their Screamin Mimi.

Yea! I've seen that one. It screams like an elephant when it leaves the pad!

My friend downloaded all those videos for me and made them into one long movie with a slide before each one telling the rocket and which flight. It is really cool!

Originally posted by master605
hello ha im just wondering is there a kit to make your rocket really loud when it comes off the lanch pad or some type of motor

boooossssshhhhhh

????

Fly it on an E30!

E30 Blue Lightning , IIRC . Those ARE LOUD!
Karl

Originally posted by havoc821
About the thing you dwonloaded where a rocket screamed off the pad, I know that some of the BIG blue thunder motors, such as those in the L-N range have a distinctive Blue Thunder Scream.

The video I was talking about was with a rocket that flew on an White Lightning G or H. Awesome rocket. I think it had tubes and ducts to make that scream :)

Heres my BSD 3" Diablo on a Econojet F20. Boy was she fast off the pad & loud!!
Karl

In HPR the animal motor works Skidmarks are LOUD AS HECK. Bring a spare pair of underwear to the launch in case one launches when you're not expecting it. Also, the redline motors are cool, pretty loud but its an on and off motor, instead of foooooossssshhhhhhhhhh.... it's more like FOOSH.

this probably will work better the faster the roc goes but..
what about the NERF design?
you all know what im talking about...
the NERF footballs that whistle when you THROW them. imagine something like that on a roc.
I think a simliar design could be achieved by making something protruding from the roc that would cause little to no resistance.
it has a type of dome top and a void similar to that of a whistle that a refree blows. the air passes over and into the void making it whistle.
Im sure if you did some research on what makes moving air create sound then you could make a really really loud roc.

just an idea (.02 worth.)

-matt

Originally posted by moocrew

the NERF footballs that whistle when you THROW them. imagine something like that on a roc.

You mean like <a href="https://www.rocketreviews.com/reviews/descon7/rapn.html">this one?</a>

:)

vaguley....YES! absolutely.
only just use the whistling mechanism on a different roc.
I noticed thou at the end he noted that the roc didn't whistle despite all common hopes. Mabey the roc went to fast?..Speed might have something to do with this?

Also I did a search on yahoo on why wind creates sound. I haven't gotten very far but one thing i did find was somewhat open ended and not real informative but this is what i found....
air/wind creates noise when it changes size or volume.
So that is the principle that, the dart works on air passes through a small opening in the rubber nose cap into a "larger" void allowing air to expand a bit then "compacting" and comes back out creating a whistle. It seems like it might make sense..then again I may be completely wrong and just misintrepreted the information.
Im still looking at this thou I've wanted to make a very loud rocket to irritate the neighbors for some time now. :D
hopefully someone else here might know something about what causes wind to make sound...? ..i hope..
ill post if i find anything.

-matt

I like the idea of attaching Nerf whistles to rockets, or you could just throw in a Blue Thunder motor

When vahpr.com is back up as it was before, find the K1000 skidmark video - that thing is loud. So loud it sets off several car alarms!

Hypertek motors have a pretty cool sound too, normally described as 'farting and burping' :)

engines are the obvious solution. But im trying to find an alternative. Thou some of those engine do create some pretty insane noise....:D

still haven't found anything...even asked my science teachers...they were clueless...figures :rolleyes:

-matt

Back