No more rockets!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wwattles

Reaction score
I was just down at my local Michaels, to use my 40% off coupon, and discovered something tragic.

They didn't have any rocket kits.

Not only did they not have any kits, they only had A3-10T's. But then I saw the sign:

"CLEARANCE"

The 4-packs of those little motors were marked DOWN from $6.99 to $3.00. So I cleaned out their stock of those, and mentioned to the cashier that I was sorry to see them no longer carrying the rocket stuff. They had only started selling it a few months ago, and even then only 2 of the smaller Estes kits. The cashier said that they weren't selling well. Go figure, when a 4-pack of A3-10T's was marked at $6.99!

So now I'm left, once again, with nobody in my end of the county who even sells ANYthing rocketry-related.

'Tis a sad day, indeed.

WW

I share your grief. Imagine my suprise when i found out my local Micheal's NEVER carries any rockets. "They just don't think they would sell here" the asst. mgr. said to me. Walmart (about 1000 feet away) can hardly keep any rockets in stock!

My Walmart doesn't sell rockets at all. Got several of the things, but not a one sells rockets.

Nearest place I've found that sells even Estes kits is on the other side of town!

But ask for R/C car stores and you'll get a dozen within walking distance.

WW

same here ...we have 1 hobbytown usa.they don't know anything about rockets ..just rc cars

Michaels --nothing

Walmart..starter sets and a couple launchables,,occasional motor

I do most shopping online

club Launches seldom have vendors present

can't get a leup

waaa

They are in business to make money (funny how that 'business' thing works out--)

We, on the other hand, are (relatively) a teeny, niche market.
Face it guys, we are . . . freaks!

yeah my walmart stopped selling rockes a long time ago....it was too bad

I was just at Michael's yesterday and they had a good selection. I was in great luck as they had the Big Daddy on clearance sale for $12.00.:D What a deal.

Originally posted by wwattles

So now I'm left, once again, with nobody in my end of the county who even sells ANYthing rocketry-related.

WW

If you find a hobby shop that you frequent, point them in our direction (or us in *their* direction) and we'll see if they would be interested in carrying FlisKits products.

hey, it can't hurt :)

Originally posted by jflis
If you find a hobby shop that you frequent, point them in our direction (or us in *their* direction) and we'll see if they would be interested in carrying FlisKits products.

hey, it can't hurt :)

Jim,

The only offline hobby shop I've visited already DOES carry your kits: What's Up Hobbies! Alas, they are one of those that is on the other side of town, a good 45 minute drive away even when the traffic isn't too bad. So I just wait until launch days when the store and I both end up in the same place. That's how I got my Deuce and my Drake!

WW

our local hobbytown usa stocks AT realoads and SU motors as well as a coomplete selection of Estes and Quest motors and kits...

must...stay...away...

I looked them up once... nearest one was 37 miles away, on the far side of the traffic jams. Maybe when I get out of the Navy, I should go into business and open up a rocketry shop on this side of town...

WW

heh i think im gonna get punched for this.... I live mabey 10 min away from a really really really nice rocket shop up in Urbana and with in two miles of my house there are three mabey 4 stores that i can buy all types of rocket stuff from...yet..i stilll chose to buy online... lol :D

I'll probably always buy some things online. But it sure would be nice to be able to buy more common things like Big Daddy's and Fat Boy's and Alpha III's without having to drive across town to a store that more likely than not won't have them!

WW

Yeah, I went to my local Michael's last weekend, when there was the "50% off one item" coupon in the paper (having not looked for rocket stuff there for some time). The only rockets I could find were two Alpha III starter sets in the clearance aisle; given that this store is in a pretty urban area, I guess I'm not too surprised that they stopped selling rockets. For most chains like this, the reality is that if stuff doesn't sell, they won't keep stocking it.

Fortunately, I've got two Hobby Lobbys nearby that stock rockets and motors, as well as a Hobbytown USA that also does.

Wal Mart. Fehh!

It's been published that:

Sam Waltons Wife and four of his kids are five of the ten richest people in the US.

Most Wal Mart employees live below the poverty level, and are on taxpayer assisted programs like food stamps and health insurance.

Wal mart even hands out the govenment assistance aplications with their employment package.

Wal mart is using the public and government funds to subsidize it's systematic process of putting compettitors out of business and squeeze US suppliers out of the market.

Wal mart used to pride itself on purchasing from local manufacturers. I guess not anymore, they all went out of business selling to them.

Every Wal mart I ever went into was a cluttered mess of a store.

For that, I'd rather pay $6.50 for a three pack of motors from a hobby vendor instead of $5 from wal mart. Oh, it's been published that wal mart's cost on that pack of Estes motors is around $1.55

Do your country a favor and stop shoping at wal mart.

/rant off/
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad::mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Back