No more Mr. & Mrs. Potato Head

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hasbro the maker of the toy says they need toy to be gender correct. Its going be call Potato Head now. Come on man. Ops Come on people.
Hasbro has already clarified. The brand name and logo are being changed to the generic "Potato Head". The different toys will still be called Mr. and Mrs. Potato Head.

Everyone can step away from the ledge. :)

Hasbro has already clarified. The brand name and logo are being changed to the generic "Potato Head". The different toys will still be called Mr. and Mrs. Potato Head.

Clarified? Sounds more like damage control. At a minimum their timing is suspect.

Had to look for this and glad I did.

"Hello, I'm Mr Potato Head and this is Oscar the Orange, Katie the Carrot, Peter the Pepper and Cookie Cucumber."

"You can make the four friends and every time you do, little Mr Potato Head is there to welcome you."

*Two in every box.

Not sure if the US late 1960s ad was the same, but I remember it only too well. My brain is full of jingles...

I suppose the Andy Griffith show with the feller in jail asking for the "Mr. Potato" will have to be taken out some way.

Ahh... how political correctness has destroyed our country!

Hasbro should just start making anatomically correct Potato Heads. Then there would be no doubt about which is Mr and which is Mrs.

I suppose if you're looking for an example of political correctness gone wild, you can creatively imagine one anywhere you like...

Because there have been no examples of recent renaming any of us can think of. Don't be so obtuse.

Aunt Jemima, Uncle Bens, Washington Redskins... insert name here.

1614348116266.png

If your interpretation of those things is political correctness gone wild, then clearly we're on wildly opposite ends of the spectrum.

I'd place each of those squarely in the category of attempting to fix things we've been dead wrong about for a very long time. And wouldn't place it anywhere -near- politics.

To me, most of 'PC culture' can be classified as learning not to be a jerk, frequently at the expensive of acknowledging our prior ignorance. There absolutely are examples of people being ridiculous about it. But renaming the Mr. Potato Head brand that includes far more than just Mr. Potato Head as an example of it? That's a massive stretch.

If your interpretation of those things is political correctness gone wild, then clearly we're on wildly opposite ends of the spectrum.

Yes, we are.

I'd place each of those squarely in the category of attempting to fix things we've been dead wrong about for a very long time. And wouldn't place it anywhere -near- politics.

Done any research on who "Aunt Jemima" was? Or "Uncle Ben" If you did you wouldn't be saying that. Perhaps all you see is there race? I see the actual person and their stories.

To me, most of 'PC culture' can be classified as learning not to be a jerk, frequently at the expensive of acknowledging our prior ignorance.

I'm fine with that. I'm the jerk that looks past the shallow race baiting and gender fantasy, and instead research the cases to mine for the truth.

To me, most of 'PC culture' can be classified as learning not to be a jerk, frequently at the expensive of acknowledging our prior ignorance. There absolutely are examples of people being ridiculous about it. But renaming the Mr. Potato Head brand that includes far more than just Mr. Potato Head as an example of it? That's a massive stretch.
I think you’re missing the point. What are we to do now that our instant pancakes and rice go by a different name? How will we watch the football teams in the league we constantly complain about and claim we’re boycotting? Who will teach our children about outdated gender roles if not the venerable old potato?

Yes, we are.

Done any research on who "Aunt Jemima" was? Or "Uncle Ben" If you did you wouldn't be saying that. Perhaps all you see is there race? I see the actual person and their stories.

I'm fine with that. I'm the jerk that looks past the shallow race baiting and gender fantasy, and instead research the cases to mine for the truth.
And if you continue to look only in your own echo chamber, you'll forever be mired in those delusions.

The point is, that the ledge keeps getting moved closer incrementally. If you have kids in the lower grades, many schools have been indoctrinating them. Won’t mention with some of the specific things, as they are hot-button topics that wouldn’t fare well here.

Done any research on who "Aunt Jemima" was? Or "Uncle Ben" If you did you wouldn't be saying that. Perhaps all you see is their race? I see the actual person and their stories.
Have you?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aunt_Jemima
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncle_Ben's
Both were characters. Despite Mars claiming Uncle Ben was based on a rice farmer, there’s no proof of that coupled with the historical use of “uncle”... it’s not a good look. Also there have been multiple Aunt Jemimas, so “person” wouldn’t be correct even if you were talking about the folks getting their pictures pasted on some mass produced crap.

I’d love to see what your “research” turned up, though.

Yes, we are.

I guess it is a matter of which version of history will prevail.
https://abcnews.go.com/US/untold-story-real-aunt-jemima-fight-preserve-legacy/story?id=72293603https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/17/business/aunt-jemima-logo-change/index.html

For some reason, this incident came to mind

View attachment 452446
There is a “the rest of the story” to the Dan Quayle Potatoe story, I got from a fellow medical resident. His brother was part of the Vice President’s support team, and said they had Cue Cards on everything. Apparently potato was spell wrong on the cue card. Still a good story.

So much angst over something so insignificant. And just to set the record straight, from Hasbro's own website...

"Hasbro is officially renaming the MR. POTATO HEAD brand to POTATO HEAD to better reflect the full line. But rest assured, the iconic MR. and MRS. POTATO HEAD characters aren’t going anywhere and will remain MR. and MRS. POTATO HEAD."

Note the words "brand" and "line". The characters remain with their "gender specific" titles. And with that I'll just skip any further comments on this thread, along with the ridiculous notion that political correctness has destroyed the country, and go back to the reason I come to this forum.....Rocketry.

My part hasn't been 'destroyed' either, as I had mentioned earlier. It's the main reason why I got rid of several sources of all media. Pure doom and gloom. It's kin to knowingly jumping into shark infested waters after having slit your wrists, then complaining about the outcome and blame the shark. Repeat and complain.

If a product name is offensive to someone, that someone will not be a customer. Simple as that.

Latest posts

Back