No more DirecTV

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wait for it to happen near you and support it. It's the only way to get away from the ridiculous rate hikes from the Comcasts, DirecTV, Dish Networks.
I would if I could. I know of places like Kansas City that made comcast compete with google fiber and Chattanooga city net. I can wish.
I can get Qwest dsl here but its about the same speed and price as comcast.

afadeev[/URL said:
]If I get triple-play for $119, and stand-alone 100+ Mb/sec internet is not much lower than $80-100, the savings are just not there.
why would you buy the triple-play? that's tv all over again.
That's my point - I got grandfathered into "everything" plan years ago. That includes all the channels, plus HBO, ShowMax, etc, etc, plus 100/100 Up/Down data, plus a (useless) landline.
That's $106/month ($119 w/taxes) for, basically, data + some TV + HBO.
If I cut out the crap I don't need, I end up paying MORE!

I just can't beat that price with OTT TV programming options. Decent data is ~$60-80/month (after promo period is over) + $30-50 for most OTT TV packages + $20 for HBO.
I can swap the vendors, but my "basic" package of data + some TV + HBO will still add up to $110-150/month.
After writing my response, I went back to comcast. They lowered prices and increased speeds and somehow forgot to notify me that I could get more for less.
I changed my service yesterday. Previous service: 80mbps/$80 .. new service: 100mbps/$45 (one year, then it goes up to $55). This is internet only. All I need. Also... buy your own modem.
I checked Comcast internet-only offers for my area:
    • $40/month for upto 200 Mbps (sounds great)
    • for 12 months (still good)
    • no contract (OK)
    • other info - after 12 months price goes up to $92.95/month
Kaboom, end of the road.
Thank you for playing.
Come back again.

checked Comcast internet-only offers for my area:
    • $40/month for upto 200 Mbps (sounds great)
    • for 12 months (still good)
    • no contract (OK)
    • other info - after 12 months price goes up to $92.95/month
Kaboom, end of the road.
Thank you for playing.
Come back again.
Ok, I guess I missed something here. The whole point of this thread is that you drop the TV completely. You don't watch regular TV anymore. Or you get it over the air. Free. You watch youtube, roku, crackle, CW, etc. So your only expense is the $40 net bill. Ok, well maybe another $15 for netflix.
HBO is a streaming app. $15/mo. I had it for a couple of months a year to watch GOT. Then I turned it off. You can do the same with Showtime, Epix, etc.
So my TV bill is ... $45 for my internet and $15 for Netflix. The rest is free. And I don't miss anything.

Back