No ejection charge...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sooner Boomer

Reaction score
I know you file a MESS report when you have a CATO. What about when you have a motor that had no ejection charge? I launched a rocket last weekend on an E-12. Everything was great on the way up. I saw the tracking smoke, then nothing. I heard a "thump" from about 20 feet away. I went over, and found the nose of the payload section stuck in the dirt with the "booster" next to it, connected by the elastic. No parachute. When I pulled the motor, it looks like the clay cap burned through, but there was no ejection charge.

end.jpg

date.jpg

MESS filed. Any point in contacting Estes? What will be their response? What will they do?

Got the rocket fixed. It's now about 8 inches shorter (2" off booster, 6" off payload section. Lost the "storage" area in the payload - it's now just one long tube. I don't have an altimiter to put in there anyway.

MESS filed. Any point in contacting Estes? What will be their response? What will they do?

Got the rocket fixed. It's now about 8 inches shorter (2" off booster, 6" off payload section. Lost the "storage" area in the payload - it's now just one long tube. I don't have an altimiter to put in there anyway.

Sure, they typically will send a kit or parts to make the rocket whole again.

Estes will often replace the rocket or motor(s) sometimes both. Email or phone call to contact them.

The picture of the motor is a good one - quick question... do you think the end (ejection end) of the motor may have gotten wet while you were storing it at your house? Could the motor have seen extreme temperatures - like freezing cold - while you had it?

Just askin' for a friend :)

do you think the end (ejection end) of the motor may have gotten wet while you were storing it at your house? Could the motor have seen extreme temperatures - like freezing cold - while you had it?

Just askin' for a friend :)

No. The motors were purchased only a few (2? 3?) days before the launch from the local Hobby Lobby. They went straight into the launch box in the living room floor. I'm concerned about the other two engines in the pack; may build a spool to launch them.

Catching up... I exchanged emails with Sandra at Estes customer service. She had me destroy the two remaining engines, and she replaced all three. I'm somewhat concerned that the new ones are the same date code, but there's still lots of body tube left to crumple!

Back