Nike X Upscale

Discussion in 'Scratch Built' started by Bruiser, Nov 9, 2019 at 1:50 AM.

Help Support The Rocketry Forum by donating:

1. Nov 9, 2019 at 1:50 AM #1

Bruiser

Bruiser

Bruiser

My Ventris is just about done so I have been giving some thought to what I am going to build next.

I've decided my next rocket will be a Nike X upscaled to a BT60 and built as a two-stage. The booster will be 7 inches long and capable of being powered by a 24mm "D" or "E" motors. The sustainer will be over 23 inches long and powered by 18mm "B" or "C" engines. Total length will be slightly over 30 inches.

Nike X BT60 18mm 24mm Snip.JPG

I've been working on the OR file today and will finalize it this weekend. My biggest hang up is the fins: 1/8th inch basswood or papered balsa. Such decisions :) Oh, and I doubt it will be painted black and white :) :) :)

I went to Hobby Lobby today to buy one of the new HL exclusive Vapor kits for it's parts but they did not have one. Luckily they did have a High Flyer XL that was just the right size.

Anyway I think I will be ready to start building my kit on Tuesday. That shouldn't take long as I don't think I'll have to cut out too many pieces/parts. Most will come right from the High Flyer XL.

-Bob

2. Nov 9, 2019 at 3:08 PM #2

mbeels

mbeels

mbeels

Putting the tree in rocketry TRF Supporter

Looks like a fun project

3. Nov 13, 2019 at 6:10 PM #3

jqavins

jqavins

jqavins

Joseph Avins TRF Supporter

The sustainer fins look really small; with the canards on it as well my mind sim says you might have a stability problem after separation. Have you checked? Of course you've checked, you're not stupid, and I just have to ask because I hear alarm bells.