Nike Smoke

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What rocket does that Quantum tube go to?

Nice V2, also!

Sand, sand, and sand, and then sand some more... And a little more...

Originally posted by Neil

Sand, sand, and sand, and then sand some more... And a little more...

coming from someone who doesnt know how to sand himself :p ;)

Also Neil, the kits are built to order and that usually takes a week, and then they ship it from California. For me it took a week in shipping, but for you it might take 2 since you live in Maine. Also I got mine quicker because they had a few of them already built (dont ask me why) so he got it shipped out the next day. So you might get it in

The Quantam in my dads Ptyradactly (spell check) Jr. from PML and that V2 is my dads 29mm estes thingy

They say on the webpage they ship out within 24 hours...???

Go figure. I can still hope... ;)

Connor,

Cool build article, man! When/where/what's it gonna fly at/on? I don't think I caught any of that in your post.

I am planning of launching it once or twice down at Orangeburg... or my dad is going to launch it once of twice at Orangeburg, and when we get back to the farm probably then too. In Orangeburg we will probably shoot it on a J-350 or J-570 or both! At the farm, we will shoot it on a I something and if the day is good with no wind, on a J-350.... Heck, it worked for Ralph and Bob (that was directed towards marv for those who have no clue who I am talking about)

Yeah, you could pull a J easy in a 5.5" bird at Williams Farm, and a K on a 6-8" wide bird. Heck, Bob Strauss (an interesting character and old prefect from years past- not to be confused with the Bob SCHONER that you know) flew some clusters in his Odyessy rockets (big 8-10" sonotube-bodied cluster rockets) that reached the low "L" range. They were huge, heavy rockets. I wouldn't try that, though, and Ralph wouldn't have it. Heh. But I'm going down to Orangeburg for the next two months (this month's an experimental launch...just visiting), but I'm planning on flying some bigger stuff in August...you and your dad should come down. I'm probably not gonna go to Freedom due to college constraints (it'll be busy once that starts) so I'm gonna do my big flying in August if all goes according to plan. You guys should come down, too. Your dad's not L-2 yet, is he? O-Burg'll be a good place to do it...

Yep, I think he is planning to cert their!! I think we might be going to the August launch but I know for a fact we are going to Freedom... if we aren't going in August, I'll do the beg and plead thing, lol;)

Pssh... don't worry about inside fillets or anything... David Gates built one of these kits on the Friday of Springfest using 100% 5-minute epoxy, no glass, and following the instructions to the letter, and has been flying it on K445s ever since!

Good choice, karatekicker! You've inspired me to go get working on my Nike Smoke :)

OK, yesterday, my rocket fell over and one of the fins fell off so we decided to drill holes in the centering ring and put in the PML 2- part foam in. That will delay the build a little but because we have to wait for it to get here from PML so right now I am just making the clip-whips that people have ordered from me. If you want any, p.m. me.

before you do that, if you want, you can drill a hole next to each fin (both sides) and pour epoxy down there, do the rocket a quadrant at a time. This will sit along the fin root and form a nice fillet. Then do the foam when it gets to you.

If you think they are that weak, do a extternal tip to tip

Originally posted by Ryan S.
If you think they are that weak, do a extternal tip to tip

The rocket doesn't need it. I sound like a broken record. I've seen em fly on M1315Ws stock except for the motor mount size, and it held up great, going over 13,000 feet for a successful L3.

Seriously! :)

O.K. daveyfire . I put all 4 fins on today, they are straight (i think) and they are sitting on their drying. I am going to put 90 minute epoxy fillet with mocroballons in them so hopefully they will hold up!!

OK... Heres how I plan to make mine...

Nice, big external fillets of US Composites with Qcells, and then foam the fincan.

This doesent really sound like overkill to me... Foam doesent weigh that much, does it?:confused:

WELL.... Lets see some pics of these two new fins... :D :D :D :D

No... I ordered it exactly a week ago... If it doesent come tomorrow, it will just sit in its box for a week while I am at LDRS... What a shame... Absolute shame...:( :( :(

Sanding, Sanding, just keep sanding. Today, I sanded down the rest of the fiberglass and then put one pair of 90 minute fillets with micro balloons in there. I'll download the pictures later today (gotta go shopping for the vacation stuff)

I weighed it yesterday with 2 fillets, no parachutes, no motors or anything, and it is already 6 lbs 5 ounces!

Great.... That means mines gonna weigh somethin like 10 pounds.... :rolleyes: ;) What with 4 outboards, electronics, all thread..... :eek:

Cant wait to see them pics! :D

Allthread? Why allthread?

In other posts on the forum, it's explained that it's deadweight in the rear of the rocket. The only use is for high thrust motors to distribute the thrust along all of the CR's. You're definately not going to need that.

As I said in MY 5.5" nike smoke thread, I want all-thread, so I am getting all-thread, and its no use arguing.:p I want my all thread. :D ;) I just wanted to try it....:rolleyes:

Ok move the argument to NEILS THREAD! But anyways, if it is going to add weight, why use it?? Are you trying to push for a bigger motor?? I have tried no to question your plans in the past, but why are you going to do that? It will just add weight, wont it?? I just dont really understand why you would want to do that.

Originally posted by Neil
As I said in MY 5.5" nike smoke thread, I want all-thread, so I am getting all-thread, and its no use arguing.:p I want my all thread. :D ;) I just wanted to try it....:rolleyes:

another example of Neil not even considering the advice of people who know what they are talking about....I wonder why people think there should be no junior HP certification

Ok, im bringing this thread back from the grave. All 4 fins are on, all 8 fillets are on, FG still needs some sanding, nose cone is shrinking (taking someones advice just to put it in there and leave it) and just basiclly waiting. I think i have a motor lined up (Marv you cn check me on that) for it's FF in O-berg, an I-600R. Pics tomorrow or Friday

Connor

Back