Nike Smoke

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brent

Reaction score
Who do you think has the best Nike Smoke kit for the money.

Who do you think has the best Nike Smoke kit for the money.

I personally like my dads 10" Polecat. He beefed it up and it weighs close to #80lbs without a motor. Its survived a cato and a shock cord break at apogee (3500 feet) without and damage.

We have flown it on an M2100 Wicked White to 4000 (3999 to be exact!!) and recovered perfectly. The nosecone is foamed and will infact float and travel with river currents (speaking from experience, have you ever fished for a nosecone??)

Ben

I like mine!:D

I just provide the nose cone and decals.

You have to provide a Deuce's Wild.

Lots of variables? Size, material etc? Here's my 5.5" Polecat on an AMW K800BB, The Rocket flies great! I usually never build anything stock and beefed up this one as well, Nice kit though.
NikeSmokeRG6K800BB.jpg
[/IMG]

I personally like my dads 10" Polecat. He beefed it up and it weighs close to #80lbs without a motor. Its survived a cato and a shock cord break at apogee (3500 feet) without and damage.

We have flown it on an M2100 Wicked White to 4000 (3999 to be exact!!) and recovered perfectly. The nosecone is foamed and will infact float and travel with river currents (speaking from experience, have you ever fished for a nosecone??)

Ben

80 pounds? Seriously?

What did you do to that thing to make it weigh that much? Fill it with bricks?

Last edited:
I have been looking at the 5.5" Polecat Nike but I have had a hard time excepting 79.15 for shipping from What's Up Hobbies.

I have been looking at the 5.5" Polecat Nike but I have had a hard time excepting 79.15 for shipping from What's Up Hobbies.

Call and talk to Jack, I cant remember what I paid for shipping but I KNOW I wouldn't have paid 80.00 bucks either.

80 pounds? Seriously?

What did you do to that thing to make it weigh that much? Fill it with bricks?

It was origionally 65lbs unloaded not its up to 75. Its got 20lbs of foam inthe nosecone. 2 Extra 1/2" CR's in the fincan, 8ozFG t2t on the fins and a honking Ebay with 1" thick plates on each end and 4 1/4" all thread and a 1/2" thick 8" x 12" sled.

My dad was the one who built it and I told him it was to heavy. He kept building though!! WIth a 76-6000 M2500 it takes it to 3200 feet and weighs about 80lbs.

Ben

Call and talk to Jack, I cant remember what I paid for shipping but I KNOW I wouldn't have paid 80.00 bucks either.

Like Gary said, call Jack.
Also check the shipping opion you selected to make sure you didn'y have 2nd day air selected or something like that.

Like Gary said, call Jack.
Also check the shipping opion you selected to make sure you didn'y have 2nd day air selected or something like that.

Next day shipping is $280, two day shipping is $240, three day shipping is $160, to Dayton, OH.

It was origionally 65lbs unloaded not its up to 75. Its got 20lbs of foam inthe nosecone. 2 Extra 1/2" CR's in the fincan, 8ozFG t2t on the fins and a honking Ebay with 1" thick plates on each end and 4 1/4" all thread and a 1/2" thick 8" x 12" sled.

My dad was the one who built it and I told him it was to heavy. He kept building though!! WIth a 76-6000 M2500 it takes it to 3200 feet and weighs about 80lbs.

Ben

That's unnecessary. 20 pounds of foam in the nosecone?

I've always been a fan of properly built rockets - a lot of people build them a LOT heavier than they need. Granted, my AMRAAM is really heavy, but that's almost entirely motor and noseweight - the structure is fairly light. Light rockets will go higher, perform better, and be flyable on smaller, cheaper motors than heavy ones while not sacrificing the ability to use the large motors.

I got the 5.5" Polecat Nike on the way. After talking to Jack I found out shipping would be only 27.47, That's acceptable!:)

I got the 5.5" Polecat Nike on the way. After talking to Jack I found out shipping would be only 27.47, That's acceptable!:)

Jacks really got to fix that shipping price on the site, Can you imagine how many people don't call?

Which MM did you get 54 or 75mm?

I got the 54. I figure I will it fly mostly K's anyway.

Back