Nike Smoke

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tbmx3

Reaction score
My son and I recently finished the Madcow 2.6 fiberglass Nike Smoke. Fiberglass is fun and easy to work with (once we got past the squaring of the tube, the filing and the sanding). It finished really nice. It comes with a 38mm mount. I'd like to start smaller though and have since ordered a 29mm adapter. What motors would be good starters to get comfortable with the rocket? Would also like to certify one day, will this rocket be an ok choice or is it too small?

Let’s start with a couple few basic questions.

1) what does it weigh all painted and packed for launch?

2) how long of a rod/rail?

3) how large of a launch site?

There are quite a few 38mm G/H/I motors, so you don't necessarily need to adapt down.

There are also quite a few 29mm G/H/I motors, some of which may be worth adapting down for.

If you provide the sim and/or the as-built final dry mass, we could provide some recommendations.

Alternately, check out thrustcurve.org and punch in your numbers to get lots and lots of suggestions.

This depends on the size of the motor but I have launched up to an H safely on 30 acre farm, but it depends on the size and weight of the rocket. You need a waiver for a rocket over 53 ounces including propellant and less than 4.4 ounces of propellant.

Last edited:
It weighs right at 27oz. W/O motor and land is not an issue. I'll try that thrustcurve. Thanks for the suggestion

There's even a couple of fast-burning F's that would do the job with a 29mm adapter.

Cheapest-per-flight is probably a G in the AT 29/40-120 casing; or G's in the smallest Loki casing.

Be safe, and have fun!

Back