Nike Smoke Pics

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketgroupmike

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm looking for pics of a real Nike Smoke. Can anyone help? (only models found on google so far...)

Thanks!

That's funny timing! This weekend I was painting my Quest
G. Harry Smoke... I went to search for some pictures, cause I
couldn't remember which fin was yellow in relation to the lugs.
(And I needed to confirm the RoTW B&W shots)

I searched google images for "Nike Smoke rocket wallops" and
the majority of results were from Dick's blog- and Rocket Girls
at that! ;)

Dick- I was going to email but- Any idea why that might've
happened? I couldn't see any obvious connection...

Hi Brian,

I was going to use the blueprint that came with your G. Harry kit (I sure wish I'd bought one...) to locate the yellow fin. I was mainly looking for a "historically correct" font, but now you've got me thinking! :confused:

The blueprint doesn't show the lugs[1], colors or "United States" font...

Besides, it's widely known/rumored(?) that Stine introduced subtle
errors in the scale details forcing competitors to research the facts.

It's surprising- as popular this rocket is, there's very little in the
way of photos out there...

[1] And Quest supplies that gawd awful inch long hunk of
plastic and recommends such a non-scale placement... ugh!
I at least took a razor saw to it and put some smaller, more
scale like sections in the right spots... ;)

Last edited:
Hmmm, maybe there should be a SCALE sub-heading under this forum??? Mods? I can say that I had to think twice (actually three or four times...) about where to post this. Is there enough interest in scale modeling? I think so!

Hmmm, maybe there should be a SCALE sub-heading under this forum??? Mods? I can say that I had to think twice (actually three or four times...) about where to post this. Is there enough interest in scale modeling? I think so!

On TRF v1.0, we used =scale= as a marker for the search engine.
v2 has tagging...

Let's see what I have,
These 5 should be enough for your Scale or Sport Scale packet:)
enjoy
Cute... in the second attachment, it says the Nike Smoke was launched at 80 degrees from horizontal, or 20 degrees from vertical.

Must be new math. :eek:

brianc said:
Besides, it's widely known/rumored(?) that Stine introduced subtle
errors in the scale details forcing competitors to research the facts.

Cute... in the second attachment, it says the Nike Smoke was launched at 80 degrees from horizontal, or 20 degrees from vertical.

QED. ;)

Must be new math. :eek:

Typo's abound everywhere in scale data...LOL! That sheet as been sent out with every Centuri and Quest Nike-Smoke since the 70's, I must have read it 50 times, but missed that error. I suppose as long as they had the 80 degree angle correct noone really worried about the extra 10°.

Rocketgroupmike:
You didn't mention what scale or size "smoke" you are looking at building?

Are you considering it for Peanut scale for this years NARAM? I've done a few in the peanut range if your looking for plan info. Micro powered ranges 7.1mm thur 13mm.

Last edited:
Thanks for the pics, John. Just what I needed.

My Nike Smoke is a 4" kit from Performance Rocketry that I bought at NERRF last year. It's nearly ready for paint, (yes, I'm a slow builder...) and that's why I was looking to verify the font used for the UNITED STATES marking.

Check the Forum Feedback section for a discussion on whether SCALE DATA should have its own section here on TRF.

I agree we need a place on this board to post scale stuff. How do we address that?

You mean like in the Scale section? Or you mean like in making so that the size limits are bumped up to allow multi MB attachments?

kj

I read it and i totally agree with you. I enjoy this topic. I have no pics but i try to get pic to post here.

Hi Brian,

I was going to use the blueprint that came with your G. Harry kit (I sure wish I'd bought one...) to locate the yellow fin. I was mainly looking for a "historically correct" font, but now you've got me thinking! :confused:

The blueprint doesn't show the lugs[1], colors or "Unites States".

NS001.JPGNS002.JPGNS003.JPGNS004.JPGNS005.JPGNS006.JPGNS007.JPGNS008.JPGNS009.JPGNS010.JPGNS011.JPGNS012.JPGNS013.JPGNike-Smoke001.jpgNIKE-SM1 - ADJ.gifNIKE-SM2 - ADJ.gifSmoke_01.JPGSmoke_04.JPGSmoke_05.JPGbf2925d79a7f1d5f7ff876cbc81c922d_preview_featured 8 X 10.jpgnike_smoke_new.jpgNikeSmoke_Old_decal - UNITED STATES.jpgNike-Smoke-a6a_on Launcher Pic-1 300dpi_02-08-67.jpgNike-Smoke-a6b_on Launcher Pic-2 300dpi_02-08-67.jpgNike-Smoke-a6c_on Launcher Pic-3 300dpi_02-08-67.jpg

Back