Nike Hercules obsession?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Holy cow, that is amazing man. Did i miss a build thread on this somewhere? NH is my dream build someday, and yours is exactly the scale I would build as well.

NICE WORK! When will it fly?
I did a thread on it in the Scale models section of the forum. I’m hoping to finish the electronic configurations and launch it in September or October in Oregon.

The "Oozlefinch" !

The Oozlefinch is the unofficial historic mascot of the Air Defense Artillery – and formerly of the U.S. Army Coast Artillery Corps. The Oozlefinch is portrayed as a featherless bird that flies backwards ( at supersonic speeds ) and carries weapons of the Air Defense and Coast Artillery, most often a Nike-Hercules Missile. The Oozlefinch has been portrayed in many different forms and artistic interpretations through its history.

Dave F.

Last edited:
When I was young I had a book called "Rockets of the Army" which contained a photo of NikeAjax, NikeHercules and NikeZeus. All of them were intriguing but the NZ was hard to get a feel for from the crude photo in the book. For that matter it was hard to determine the exact airframe shape of the upper stage of the NH. Here are photos of a few static displays I've seen in years since.

I haven't tried building one of these to fly nor have I studied any of the kits available. I'm assuming that normal rules for stability of an unguided rocket apply meaning you have to get the CG pretty close to the front to maintain stability, is that correct? I should look for some OR simulations to study.

This Nike Ajax is in front of a small airport in central Texas, I forget the exact town although I might be able to find it on the map.
P1000139b.jpg

These are from the rocket garden at White Sands (scanned from prints)
newmexico2001-001-2.jpg

newmexico2001-002-1.jpg

newmexico2001-003-1.jpg

newmexico2001-005-2.jpg

Last edited:
The Weisbrod Aircraft Museum in Pueblo Colorado has a Nike Hercules in pieces. You can walk right up to all of the planes and missiles that they have, and there are several planes that you can climb into. I took a couple of pics of the upper stage of the missile.

IMG_3410.JPGIMG_3411.JPGIMG_3412.JPG

Sure looks to me like the section between the lift rings is cylindrical.

Goose

Back