Nike-Hercules considerations..

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silverleaf

Reaction score
Greetings,

I've got the plans for The Launch Pad Nike-Hercules, but after seeing a built model I'm really hesitant to use this plan pack, as the model looked really flimsy, and just didn't look very impressive.

I'm really not to keen on having to roll my own tubes - but before I start searching online for possible ideas on how to build a N-H, I thought I'd ask if anyone has built a Launch Pad model, and how its flown.

Specifically, I'd be very interested to know if you staged it, and how successful the staging was.

Otherwise, I'm looking at a 40 to 50 " tall model, with the possibility of staging being an outside consideration.

Any ideas ?

Cheers,

I've seen a Nike Herc like you are looking for at Vatsaas site.

Vatsaas Rockets

The Nike Herc is about halfway down after you get to the mid-power section.

Sounds like an interesting project. Keep posting your progress.

I'm sitting on the same LaunchPad Plan-Pak for the Nike-Herc

A year or so ago I came across images of the kit done VERY nicely. It is without doubt an impressive kit.

I've mulled over the plans and have decided to wait on it. When I have a big block of time and feel a little more comfortable with the build. I've read it is not for the faint-of-heart.

I didn't want to try rolling my own BT's as well. But, I may have to go that way. In my scrounging about I have a set of tubes that are really close. They came from some roll of something. But are a little thicker and hence heavier. I'm reluctant to use them. From what I've heard most of TLP kits are built fairly light. You really don't want to add additional mass where it shouldn't be because of stability issues.

What really concerned me was the rather large fins butt-joined at the aft end. First time I saw it I thought a good opportunity to pop off.

As for staging I heard it does work as designed. I'm nowhere near my notes so I'm working from memory of postings, etc. I've seen. If I (again) remember correctly, the switch is triggered by the ejection of a motor. You have to watch out for buildup of BP residue that may clog the piston thing.

... Bill

I have the plan pak , and also haven't started yet
I consider the plan pak as a basis to work from, if you can find decient tubes, thats good. There are some options for strengthening a self rolled tube.no problem there
you can always ditch the piston ignition and go with annother electronic means.that would also cut some weight

since you are supplying the components, you can also strengthen the fin mounting as you progress....or you can build it stock
It's a builders plan set

I have seen a TLP Pershing that was"enhanced" to the point of ,the only thing stock was the large tapered shroud(and that was filled and glassed)

build it in a way that suits you , if it fails ,you could always make annother..I have thought about building 2 at one time, a lightweight version and a beefy version, I think it would save alot of time in the longrun...but like Bill I need a timeslot to do it
I'm thinking winter project.

Back