Nike Heat

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruiser

Reaction score
I have been doing a little work on the Nike Heat.

I started on the fins. I built them in a similar way as the 7247 Honest John fins but the center is made from 1/32" plywood. Then I glued on 1/16 balsa starting with the center. I sanded the taper in before I glued on the leading and trailing edges. After gluing on the edges, I sanded the taper to the front and to the tip.
Nike 10 Fins Laminate.jpg

Here they are all sanded and ready to be papered. This will be the first time for me. I've read over Neil's instructions several times and probably will again tomorrow right before I start.
NIke 10 Cone Fin Sanded.jpg

-Bob

Even the cardboard in the background looks fun (the atom symbol). I'm really glad to see someone using that drawing for a real model.

I made a little progress today. Got to work on papering fins for the first time. I used Avery 8165 shipping labels. I think they came out pretty well, especially considering it was my first attempt.

Nike Heat Papered Fins.jpg

I was worried about losing some definition of the angles so I glued some thread on the fins at the transitions. After a light sanding I put the label paper on using Neil's tutorials :). I did stray by sealing the edges with thin CA . It's pretty dark here now so I'll give them a good look over tomorrow before spraying primer. It's actually rained here all day which is very rare in southern New Mexico.

-Bob

Looks good from here. Interesting little trick there with the thread.

If you're going to sand your primer: one thing I have really learned lately is not to sand through the primer and rough up the paper. With filler/primer, I do my sanding with 400 grit, apply very little pressure, and sand only until I first start to see the paper peeking through the primer. I think you'll want to sand parallel to and in between the pieces of string, else you'll sand through the paper that's on top of the string.

The primer is basically just to show any areas that might need touching up. I'm assuming that is normally done with cwf?

-Bob

The primer is basically just to show any areas that might need touching up. I'm assuming that is normally done with cwf?
I don't think I've ever needed to apply CWF on papered fins after priming. I probably wouldn't put a significant amount thin/watery CWF directly on the paper, but small touch-ups should be OK. I think.

I did use a little cwf to build up the definition of the angles a little. There were two areas where I must have pushed too hard on the thread so it didn't really show.

I built my motor mount. I decided to go with a 24mm mount and when I cut out the centering rings I made one a little too big. I laminated so manila folder stock and made a replacement ring.
Nike Heat Motor Mount.jpg

I've also been working on the fin can. I struggled with deciding which way to go but finally decided yesterday. This is where I am at today. Still need to add a lot of detail.
Nike Heat Can Primer.jpg

Once I decided which way to model the fine can, I was able to pick out the paint for it.
Satin Nickel.jpg

-Bob

Today has been very productive.

I started with the nose cone. First was to remove the three little smoke dispenser cover things. Turned out the permagrit tool and some sandpaper made quick work of them. Then I need to fill in the two seams on the nose cone and make just one in a new location to match Mr. Alway's drawing. Two applications of cwf and some sanding took care of the filling, but the new seam was a bit tricky. I got a little crooked on the first try with just a triangular file so some cwf and sanding was needed. For the next try I started off with my razor saw and once I had it "cut in" I opened it up a little with the triangular file. I shot some primer on it and here's how it came out.
Nike Heat Cone Primer.jpg

Oh, gotta run. Be back a little later.

-Bob

Well I thought I would be back in time to post a picture of the nose cone painted with Rustoleum Copper Rose but I got too busy.

I also worked on the body tube today. I went home at lunchtime and made a wrap. Not a turkey or roast beef, but a body wrap from an Avery shipping label. I only have the font loaded on my computer at home. Putting the wrap on went pretty well and the Rustoleum Camo Forest Green was a nice match with the green on the wrap. I've got my weld lines in and painted and it looks, well, not perfect which is great because neither was the original rocket. Sometimes I have to remind myself that most of these rockets were surplus military motors that had seen the sun, handling and all sorts of wear and tear.

I know, I know. Where are the pictures? Well they are not on this computer but no worries. I'll post them up tomorrow.

-Bob

So, how about that Copper Rose? It's the Rust-oleum Universal Paint & Primer In One. It sprayed pretty well. It's still a little "tacky" this morning. It's suppose to fully dry in 24 hours but it has been a bit chilly here.
Nike Heat Copper Rose.jpg

The Rust-oleum Camouflage 2X Deep Forest Green blended in great with the green of the wrap. It was looking just a little off yesterday but it's really close now that it has dried. I got lucky when I picked the color while designing the wrap in Microsoft Publisher.
Nike Heat Green Match.jpg

I see I have a little sanding and re-spraying to do between the lower weld line and the can. I have initially taped that off when I sprayed the weld lines. I got a little upset with myself when I realized what I had done and I hurriedly taped the area of and sprayed it. Now I see it needed some attention prior to spraying so that may set me back from attaching fins today...

-Bob

Got that area re-painted. A little cwf, some sanding, then the paint. You can see the difference in the color better in this picture than previous ones.
Nike Heat Re-Paint.jpg

And I got a little done on the fins
Nike Heat Fin Guide.jpg

Now they can cure up over the weekend.

-Bob

I did a little work over the weekend on the fins. I added my the fillets that I was hoping would simulate the welds that were used in building the rocket. When I looked at them this morning, I realized that I short-sheeted them. I only put them where the center panel is on the fins but they were supposed to go all the way to the corners of the plates.
Nike Heat Short Fillets.jpg

So the first order of business is to fix that minor detail... I hope to get the can and fins in color today :)

-Bob

Fins are painted with the satin nickel Rustoleum Universal Paint and Primer in One. I like the way they came out.
Nike Heat Fin Satin Nickel.jpg

Not too much left to do. Need to decide if I am going to use a baffle or dog barf so I can get the recovery system installed. The rocket is otherwise done. Just waiting for paint to dry :)

-Bob

With this posting, the thread is almost over. All that is left now is figuring out the recovery system. Do I install and baffle like I did in my Honest John build or do I forgo the baffle and just attach the elastic to the inside of the body tube? Such things to ponder...

Here's the candy. :)
Nike Heat Assembled.jpg

I am very happy with the way my interpretation of the Nike 10 Degree Cone Heat Transfer Test Vehicle (or Nike Heat as I call it) came out. I think that the paint scheme is pleasing to look at, especially considering the colors. It certainly looks capable! I got to explore some new techniques while building it by papering the fins and the wrap. Not only was it the first time I used a wrap, I also made the wrap myself which was a first time challenge doing something like that. Developing the wrap presented more obstacles than I imagined but with a little patience and help from you all, I was able to get 'er done!

Thanks for following the build,
-Bob

Hey man, the thread ain't over until there's launch pictures.
Oh no! None of my threads are done then! Seriously though, I haven't flown/launched a rocket since the 70's. I just would like to have an experienced Rocketeer :) help me put one in the air at least once before I do it alone. There use to be a club here but it is apparently gone. I am going to Pueblo in a week and half and I thought about trying to contact someone there to help me but it's not one of their launch weekends :(

Looks terrific!
Thank you!

OK, how'd you make the white decals? :)
It's a wrap, or it was a wrap :) I talked about it up in post 11. I also had a thread about diy wraps in the techniques forum https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/diy-body-wraps.148299/

Thanks again,
-Bob

Neil, you are trouble!

So there I was headed to the doctor for a recheck on the nasty spider bite on my arm when I was thinking about your post regarding launching the rocket. Then it triggered a thought--I never attached the launch lugs!

I hate you right now neil_w, lol!

Btw, I was going to post a pic of the spider bite but didn't want to get booted off the forum :)

Well, you have now joined *two* illustrious clubs. ;)

It gets even better: your post just reminded me that I forgot to put the lug on my current build. :eek:

Hatin' ya right back.

It looks very nice. You're right; that is a really pleasing color scheme.

Great payoff for me for making the drawing.:)

Peter Alway

I decided to go the route of the ejection baffle. This one is a little different than the two I built for previous rockets.

Nike Heat Baffle Parts.jpg

I have it epoxy coated and it's setting up now.

-Bob

All set up with the eye installed. Just need to go get some elastic and finish her up.

Nike Heat Baffle Assy.jpg

-Bob

Back