Nike Apaches Finished

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edmiller

Reaction score
I built two Apaches to fit on my Estes Pro Series II Nike Smoke. Check out a previous post for the transition master and mold parts. One of the Apaches is inert and just goes along for the ride. The other is a functioning second stage using electronics in the transition for ignition. 18mm motor in the Apache.

In the background is a plate I made for fin material for an upcoming project. It was made from carbon fiber and aluminized fiberglass. The air frame, not in the photo, is also made the same way. It should look like a stainless steel wire wrapped high pressure hose when complete.

Attachments

• 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    183.6 KB · Views: 96
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    156 KB · Views: 98
I built two Apaches to fit on my Estes Pro Series II Nike Smoke. Check out a previous post for the transition master and mold parts. One of the Apaches is inert and just goes along for the ride. The other is a functioning second stage using electronics in the transition for ignition. 18mm motor in the Apache.

In the background is a plate I made for fin material for an upcoming project. It was made from carbon fiber and aluminized fiberglass. The air frame, not in the photo, is also made the same way. It should look like a stainless steel wire wrapped high pressure hose when complete.
Now that's what I call skills and excellent workmanship!

The fiberglass is a twill weave. This product is available from multiple sources. I got mine from US Composites INC. USCi It is quite a bit stiffer than normal fiberglass fabric. Composite Envisions, Composite Envisions | Carbon Fiber Fabrics, Kevlar/Aramid, Zylon, Fiberglass, Carbon Fiber/Kevlar Hybrids and Carbon Fiber/Fiberglass Hybrids also has it plus a lot of other specialty fabrics that you have never seen anywhere else.

The panel started with a 1/16" carbon plate I got from Dragon Plate, DragonPlate I did one side at a time with one layer of 5.7 oz carbon fiber cloth and then one layer of aluminized fiberglass. Clear epoxy is a must or the finish will no be nice. Ecopoxy When the two layers were applied I applied a layer of peel ply and smoothed it to remove air bubbles with a squeegee. When dry the peel ply was pulled off and one coat of clear epoxy applied and let set to cure. Then tthe other side was done. I did not vacuum bag the plate.

Thanks for the photos. I was thinking about making a sport scale Nike Apache for NARAM next year. Still collecting info.

Just for fun, here are my Tomahawk motor spec plates. Slightly personalized.
I couldn't upload the Illustrator file, but PDF should be fine in this case. It's all vector, so it can be scaled to any size your printer can handle.

Attachments

• Tomahawk motor plate 2.pdf
    523.3 KB · Views: 13
This is an APACHE motor spec plate. These are actually paper labels ( probably "peel & stick" ).

The one in the pic is on a TE-416 TOMAHAWK ( applied to the motor by Thiokol. The Fins are installed later by the "end user" ).

Dave F.

w-66-275_cropB.jpg

Attachments

• THIOKOL MOTOR DATA PLATE.JPG
    THIOKOL MOTOR DATA PLATE.JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Especially since I think I took the Apache data plate and filled in the Tomahawk info.
And created a fictional manufacturing plant.

Back