Nike Ajax question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

dbpeirce

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone know the style name for the nose on a Nike Ajax. The original Estes kit had a BNC-20 CB
I’m trying to build an upscale version and was wondering what that nose cone translates to as far as 3:1 or 4:1 Ogive or is it something else??
thank you

Mugs914

Pardon me for talkin' while you're interruptin'...
Reaction score
It is actually a kind of funny shape; a bit ogive, a bit conical and does not translate to cylindrical at the shoulder. The "nose cone" bit translates to a long conical section that meets the cylindrical section. Some kit manufacturers have made the "nosecone" and the conical bit as a one piece balsa nosecone (or just ignored the conical section and used an off-the-shelf nosecone).

Here is a pretty nice drawing that shows the actual shape (Upper left). Though the resolution is not good enough to read the dimensional call-outs, you should be able to scale the shape up from the drawing itself.
001.JPG

Here's a (small) pic of the real deal:
N0WVUh7w.jpeg

I'll look through my stuff and see if there is anything else that might be helpful. (I have a bit of data on the Ajax, but I'd bet Dave has A LOT more!)

I am going to build an HP version one of these days, but anyone who has seen my builds would realize that that is probably a while off...

Mike

dbpeirce

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Mike.
Thank you. I was actually looking at that same photo. There are some great shots in that group of photos. I think I am going to try a 3:1 Ogive to a piece of airframe and then a conical transition to the main sustainer.

Ez2cDave

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'll look through my stuff and see if there is anything else that might be helpful. (I have a bit of data on the Ajax, but I'd bet Dave has A LOT more!)

Mike
Good evening . . .

Dave F.

mim-3_nike_ajax_43_of_51.jpg

nike_ajax_and_launcher_23_of_51.jpg

IMG_5208.JPG

IMG_5358.JPG

IMG_5402.JPG

IMG_5415.JPG

IMG_5516.JPG

AjaxManufacture-ChEverett-.jpg

_nikeajax.jpg

NOSE DETAIL - SOURCE UNKNOWN.JPG

Mugs914

Pardon me for talkin' while you're interruptin'...
Reaction score
Here are a couple more drawings and some GREAT pics from @Ez2cDave. (Who, I am told, is resting comfortably at an undisclosed location until "all this is over and the heat dies down..." :p )

Thanks Dave!

Click to enlarge:
_nikeajax.jpg_nikeajax.jpgNOSE DETAIL - SOURCE UNKNOWN.JPGAjaxManufacture-ChEverett-.jpgIMG_5208.JPGIMG_5358.JPGIMG_5402.JPGIMG_5415.JPGIMG_5516.JPGmim-3_nike_ajax_23_of_51.jpgmim-3_nike_ajax_43_of_51.jpg

Ez2cDave

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Here are a couple more drawings and some GREAT pics from @Ez2cDave. (Who, I am told, is resting comfortably at an undisclosed location until "all this is over and the heat dies down..." :p )

Thanks Dave!
Glad to help . . .

Dave F.