NIH:Not Invented Here Syndrome: Estes and Quest

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shockwaveriderz

Reaction score
I notoice that there is alot of people here in TRF that are very creative to the point that they kit and sell their own model rockets.

I was just wondering if any of you had every considered approaching Estes or Quest or Flis Kits or Semroc and inquiring if they might be interested in kitting one of your designs?

The reason I ask this, back in the "old Daze" when both Estes and Centuri was starting out, Estes utiltized design of the Month contests on a reagular basis to tap into the creativity of model rocketeers and some of the designs actually became Estes kits.

I can only assume that the Estes DOM continues to this day with that purpose in mind: to engender new dsigns that may become future kits...
I notice that the FlisKits DOM contest alos sorta works in this way.

I mean if you think about it it is an inexpensive way to get new designs on a regular basis especially if your inhouse staff isn't too creative.

Does anybody know who the model rocket designers within Estes or Quest are designing their models? the fact that Quest will becomeing out with DE engines in the near future leads me to beleive that they must be also designing model kits to utlize these engines.... the "tie-in" as they call it.....

Just thought I would get the peoples thoughts on this in here....

shock,

Yes, I had thought of that but I have my misgivings about asigning MY designs to others. I think Shrox would agree with me here.

I prefer total creative control over design, packaging, quantity of kits produced and quality.

That is not to say that a company like Fliskits, Squirrel Works, Thrustline or SEMROC couldn't maintain the same quality that I prefer...I'd just rather keep my kits all MY kits.

Besides I don't want to see my kits in the "clearance" aisle at Wal-Mart.

sandman

Originally posted by sandman
shock,

Besides I don't want to see my kits in the "clearance" aisle at Wal-Mart.

sandman

Thats one place you will NEVER see them sandman.

David

Hmmm......this debate reminds me of the music industry:

Do you sign with a big label (like EMI, A&M, Virgin), get your product premoted & sold around the globe; then after the label's idea of what you should sound like goes out of fashion, you get droped like a cake with a lit D12 in it, then dissapear into obscurity ....

or.....

Do you sign with a small independant label (2-Tone, Stiff, Zarjaz), sell only a handfull of your product in your home country; then end up gaining ledgendery status for not only putting out tunes people will remember and want to listen to, but for the fact you stood by your guns and never 'sold out'.

Originally posted by cydermaster

Do you sign with a small independant label (2-Tone, Stiff, Zarjaz), sell only a handfull of your product in your home country; then end up gaining ledgendery status for not only putting out tunes people will remember and want to listen to, but for the fact you stood by your guns and never 'sold out'.

Way OT, but 2-tone weren't really an independant, unlike Stiff. 2-tone were bankrolled by Chrysylis, and had obligations to meet as a consequence, such as that tricky third "Specials" LP.

Back