night flights??

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shoprobav

Reaction score
I'm interested in doing some night launches. Does anybody have any suggestions on which kits to use or any tips on maintaining a visual on it all through it's flight. I was thinking on using an Estes payload kit with a glow stick inside. What do you think? Are there any special paints i can use to help me see it. If i get some good advice i'll make a good night launch and definetley get some good pics for everybody.

Oh man, our micromister will lay it on you when he sees this thread. He has don tons of night launch stuff from MicroMaxx up. You should search the forums to see what has already been discussed. He will explain why ultra-bright LEDS are vastly superior to glow sticks and paints.

Originally posted by shoprobav
.... and definetley get some good pics for everybody.

Thats what we like to see - piccies!! :D

Oh, and by the way, welcome to the forum.

I did some night launches...This was before I learned you needed all kinds of clearance. I did it with a Fatboy...It was easy to see the whole time because of the sparks the motor emits.

I got kind of nervous when I launched it on a C so I put a glow stick in it...it was easy to see... fun to do to.

shoprobav:

everything you never wanted to know about night launches:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2579&highlight=night

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1125&highlight=strobe

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1073&highlight=strobe

I don't think it would all that difficult to get a FAA waiver...of course that would depend on where you plan on launching, altitudes,etc

shockie B)
ps for all newbies here: there is a search function and there is a veritable wealth of rocketry information in past threads....

Welcome to the Forum shoprobav!

After Seeing Shockwaveriderz post above, I see a clearification is needed.

THERE IS NO WEIGHT AT WHICH ANY UNMANNED ROCKET OR BALLOON CAN BY LAUNCHED BETWEEN SUNSET AND SUNRAISE. our 1lb rule only pertains to flights during the daytime hours. All model rocket flights are illegal after sunset, period.

Night launches are a Blast! but you MUST get FAA waivers, This activity can land you in really hot water with the Feds!
Please read the previous post on this subject were I've layed out the FAA reqirements given some examples of different models. The Warp II is a Great first Led model by the way! I'm in the middle of a bid project and getting ready to go on vacation, so I'm not going to have a lot to time on-line for the next couple of weeks. I'll post a pic page of a Pratt BT-50 yellow styrene cone below. I'm sure you'll have lots of questions. I or someone here will be sure to help you out. But Get the clearance before you fly! WE Don't need anymore problems with the FEDS:D
Hope this helps

Back