nichrome wire

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stewart32

Reaction score
Can nichrome wire be used repeatedly for ignition? Meaning use the same ignitor over and over?

It can until it burns through. I just don't like nichrome cause it takes longer to heat up, thus using batteries up faster.

Immediately reusable? As far as I know, no. The closest thing would be if you dip your own igniters. Then you could save the wires, trim them down after each launch, and re dip them, as long as the wires are long enough to reuse.

Originally posted by astrowolf67
I just don't like nichrome cause it takes longer to heat up, thus using batteries up faster.

I may sound naive, but is there an better alternative to nichrome wire in ignitors, and if so what is it?

iggie

I dont know if it is better, but you could just use conductive primer. Or ematches.

Use a 1/4 watt carbon resistor. If you apply a 12 volt source the will pop and catch fire !

I have some gold plated tungsten wire (60 micron). It heats up well with a 9V alkaline battery and takes much longer to burn through than nichrome.

Back