Nichrome wire distribution lengths

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fair length for free nichrome wire

• 5ft

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10ft

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • 15ft

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • 20ft

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • 25ft

Votes: 4 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sandy H.

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I have 2 spools (around 250ft each) of 34 and 40ga nichrome I want to post for free (+ shipping) in the yardsale forum, but I want to get a good amount to as many people as possible. I have made a handful of igniters myself and know that you use more than you think, but at the same time you probably launch fewer rockets than you plan. So, the poll is to get a feel for the right denomination for spooling this stuff off and posting it for free in the yardsale forum.

Thanks for your input.

Sandy.

Last edited:
At 3" per starter, 20 feet will make 80 starters. 10 feet, 40 starters. How many rocket flights are being planned for this year? My guess: 40 starters will be more than enough for almost anyone. Except <you know who you are!>
:)

I actually did a test of spooling it on a cereal-box card with notches cut to hold the ends and it seemed to work well, so instead of waiting to ship to people because I ordered pre-made cards, I will use random boxes we have here. I think it should fit in an envelope very well, even if 25ft wins the day.

So, pseudo-bump, but new information. Please vote and I'll post in the yard sale forum Sunday.

Thanks!!!

Sandy.

Back