NiCD Battery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kramer714

Reaction score
I have been looking at using rechargeable batteries for my altimeters. Currently I have been using (2) 9 volt alkaline batteries wired in parallel with a HiAlt45k and also with micro timers. I usually change the batteries every flight or two to be on the safe side. Adds up to a lot of batteries.

Im thinking of switching to a 7 cell AAA or 2/3A NiCD pack. I can build these into a good shape and sled mount them with a '9 volt' attachment on them.

2/3A should give 10 amps 8.4V and 600mAh. Will I be able to reliably get 6-8 flights without recharging.

One of the guys locally has been using rechargable MaHa brand NiMH 9v batteries from Thomas Distributing for a couple years with good results.

Al

Radio shack 9v RC batteries work well, (and the price is right) I use them for all but my smallest projects.

Tom

I concur with Thomas Distributing MaHa NiHM rechargable batteries. A little pricey up front when you add in a charger but over time I expect to save. The other consideration for me was to purchase the top line multi size battery charger and convert all my battery operated equipment to rechargeable like I've wanted to do for some time.

https://www.thomasdistributing.com/...html?SP_id=&osCsid=e8t21gf6qcjhfsojgsc2ncrej4

I have been looking at using rechargeable batteries for my altimeters. Currently I have been using (2) 9 volt alkaline batteries wired in parallel with a HiAlt45k and also with micro timers. I usually change the batteries every flight or two to be on the safe side. Adds up to a lot of batteries.

I'm thinking of switching to a 7 cell AAA or 2/3A NiCD pack. I can build these into a good shape and sled mount them with a '9 volt' attachment on them.

2/3A should give 10 amps 8.4V and 600mAh. Will I be able to reliably get 6-8 flights without recharging.

I know I'll here a lot of "your being unsafe" and "it's not worth the risk" responses for this, but I think you have been over doing it with double batteries and changing out the batteries every flight. I think you have been increasing your chances of failure with the more complex system with more connections and possible failure points.

I use a HiAlt45 with ematches or double xmas tree bulbs for my charges in my L1 & L2 rockets. I've use the altimeter in two different rockets and use the same battery for the whole season. I tested 40 homemade ematchs with the HiAlt45 and a new battery. The voltage reading that is beeped out when the HiAlt45 powers up only dropped from 9.0V to 8.9V after the 29th and 30th ematches were fired. I've only gone through three Duracell 9V batteries in three years. I've never had a failed charge in flight or a battery related failure during testing.

It would be expensive to find out, but I suspect a new Duracell 9VDC battery with the HiAlt45 would fire at least 200 commercial ematchs without issues.

I too use the MAHA batteries!
They are rated at 9.6 volts in a 9 volt size.
230 mAh rating & test over 10 volts fully charged.

They tend to hold a charge fairly long
I've gotten a couple flights on one charge.

One down side you have to be careful with:
The connectors seem to be a bit flimsy.

I was trying to remove a battery from the snap on battery connector & managed to pop off the positive side of the battery.

JD

Back