NFPA 1127 - Does Anyone Have A Copy in PDF Format?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisVG

Reaction score
All,

I am going through the painful process of obtaining an LEUP. It would appear that Florida has adopted NFPA 1127 - Code for High Power Rocketry. However, the NFPA web site charges $23.50 for a PDF copy of the code. As a cost saving measure, I was wondering if anyone might know where I could access a copy of this document. I can't seem to find it anywhere but the NFPA site.

I will cough up the money if I have to. . . :(

Thanks!!!

thanks for sharing these.

the ROP obviously means these files were the draft revisions recording the comments and changes from the review meetings. this additional information is very interesting.

I have major issues with the way NFPA 1122 & 1127 are handled. all the rocketry sanctioning bodies say NFPA is their by-law and you need to know what is in 1127 to really understand the questions for the level 2 HPR test.

however, 1127 is not freely available. you have to pay to get it.

try it this way: we have a law you must follow but we're not going to tell you what it is, how it was decided, or even who decided what goes in there!!

is that the antithesis of democracy or what?!??

Originally posted by MarkABrown
Here is a copy I have: https://www.sundownsystems.com/Rocketry/NFPA/1127-02-rop.pdf

I don't think it is the final copy but, it is very close. This is the May 2002 - ROP. I don't remember what ROP stood for. :(

I also have copies of NFPA 1122 and 1125 at that same location.

Thanks Mark!!! This will be helpful, and I hope we can locate the final version. If no-one has it, I might just buy it and share it.

I agree with cls: it is insane that this document is not freely available!!! :mad:

Originally posted by ChrisVG
I agree with cls: it is insane that this document is not freely available!!! :mad:

[/Engineer mode on]

NFPA is a for profit entity. No one gets their codes for free (legally). They are not associated with the government. They have gotten most industrial insurers and fire marshalls to use them as the standard. The local authority having jurisdiction has the final say and can override them.

[/Engineer mode off]:)

(EDIT)
Sorry, I mistyped. I believe NFPA is non-profit. However, they do not allow their codes to be distributed freely.

I suspect that any jusrisdiction who has adopted the codes will have copies available for review.

That's a good point Rstaff3. If Florida has adopted 1127 as part of their law, they may have a way to let you view the copy.

You also might try the engineering library at a nearby university.

:)

Scott

Alright, someone give my a copy of the darn thing so I can put it up on Kazaa. :D :p

Chris,

don't forget to check with your local and county officials as well. They may or may not have stricter regulations than NFPA 1127.

Originally posted by KermieD
Chris,

don't forget to check with your local and county officials as well. They may or may not have stricter regulations than NFPA 1127.

Kermie,

I have contacted the local fire marshall to confirm that they have indeed adopted NFPA 1127. That's what the state fire code (Chapter 69A-60 fire prevention code) says, but I want to hear it from someone with a title. I will probably ask for confirmation in writing.

As for Kazaa, you never know what wild and crazy documents might show up there! :)

It's $150 dollars now! Don't worry, there's free access if you create an account with NFPA for free. I'm not sure what restrictions apply yet.

$149….for a PDF? Wow, talk about gouging. I purchased the printed copy a few years ago to start studying for my L2.
I bought it, because as mentioned previously, it is kind of hard to figure out some of the reasons without the document.
I know I didn’t pay $150 for it. At that price I would have just said L1 is good enough for me.
I have all the material in my desk at work, so can’t look up what version it is. I’ll edit that info in in the am.

Not sure why a crusty old thread from 2003 about NFPA 1127 got revived, but here we are.

You don't need a copy of 1127. If you're looking at having it for studying for the Level 2 test, all the information you need to do so is available online, without needing to have 1127.

-Kevin

Every digital copy (PDF) downloaded has a watermark up the side of each page with the NFPA copyright information AND the name and date of the entity that purchased it.

They DO protect their intellectual property, and WILL send cease and desist to any site that has it available for free, or selling without authorization.

And is all you need to study and pass your L2 exam.

Assuming you're taking the Tripoli exam. For NAR, you need to use NAR's study materials.

The two Level 2 exams cover similar material, but if you study the materials from one and try to take the other test, don't expect to pass. They each have a slightly different emphasis.

-Kevin

Chris - why the LEUP these days????
Seems pointless unless you go all the way to LEMP.
Just curious - I gave mine up a few years ago - so wondering "what I'm missing."

Back