Next Upscale Build - Lil' Ivan

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boosterdude

Reaction score
I always liked the Lil'Ivan, so I designed the upscaled version in Rocksim last week. I ordered a set of decals from Sandman, and the nose cone is the BNC-80HL from Semroc. The body is a 9inch section of BT-80H, with the motor mount being 24mm. The body is actually lengthened by one inch to provide a little more room for the chute. The fin material I'm still up in the air about in both thickness, and material. Probably go with 1/8 basswood, although I think 3/16 balsa might look better. Either way they will go TTW.

Should fly well on D's, and RMS E's. I'll update more as the building progresses, shouldn't take long.

DSC00144.jpg

Looks like a great project! The Lil' Ivan was one of the first BAR models I did and my first Semroc kit. I really enjoy that model although the streamer is a bit hard to pack with the short body tube. Definitely post more pics and some launch reports.

Are you upscaling the graphics as well?

John, I did the decal drawing but you never did order them.:eek:

Yep, Sandman is sending me some upscaled decals for the rocket. Should look great, easy paint job......all white!

Here is the completed Lil Ivan upscale. Turned out nice, and the decals from Sandman were excellent. Should fly nice on D12's and some E reloads. The extra one inch in the length of the BT should help in loading the recovery system.

DSC00161.jpg

Great job. That turned out excellent! I was thinking the extra length was going be more noticeable than it is, but after the finish and decals, you can hardly tell. I also wonder if the extra tube length will help defray some of the heavy sooting the that usually occurs on the upper end.

How much for a set of those decals, Sandman? They look great!

$8 a set and I'll try to put it on my web site later tonight.

Update!

OK, it's on the site.

Go to the "Upscale" section and scroll down to the "Fits BT-80" decals.

Last edited:
Great job. That turned out excellent! I was thinking the extra length was going be more noticeable than it is, but after the finish and decals, you can hardly tell. I also wonder if the extra tube length will help defray some of the heavy sooting the that usually occurs on the upper end.

Thanks Craig, I was worried about the extra BT length as well. You really can't tell and the extra room is great for a number of reasons.

Got the first flight on the Bigger Lil Ivan today on a E28-4T. Perfectly stable and straight boost to well over a 1000ft. Ejection occurred right at apogee. Unfortunately, it drifted in the woods and is unrecoverable. That part sucks, however I'm very happy with the flight performance so I'll be building another one asap.

006.jpg

Well, oops!

Somebody bought your decal...I'll have to print you another one!;)

I saw the flight. Sorry for the loss.

It was a bummer, but it's part of the hobby. The wind was going the wrong way for our field. The E28 took it up there.
I've got my fins cut and sanded, and my motor mount built for V2.0. Order another cone, bt, and decals tomorrow morning.

I actually lost two in those trees yesterday, my wife send I got ahead start on hanging Xmas ornaments in the trees.

Last edited:
Well all is right in the world again. I finished Upscale Ivan v2.0 today exactly one week from loosing Upscale Ivan v1.0 to a rocket eating tree.

No changes to v2.0, built the same way, using Sandman's excellent decals. I just had to build another one.

011.jpg

nice lookin' rocket, just as good as the first one!
are you going to fly it at the same field, or will you be waiting for a dead calm day: to lose one is accidental, but a second.....................

nice lookin' rocket, just as good as the first one!
are you going to fly it at the same field, or will you be waiting for a dead calm day: to lose one is accidental, but a second.....................

Good point, loosing two would be embarrassing. Hadn't thought about that!!! ;)

I wait for the wind to blow the other direction away from the trees.

Great upscale! I've got to have one and when I saw the build on EMRR I ordered the parts from Semroc and the decals from Roachworks. All should be under the Christmas tree for me. Thanks for sharing.

Great upscale! I've got to have one and when I saw the build on EMRR I ordered the parts from Semroc and the decals from Roachworks. All should be under the Christmas tree for me. Thanks for sharing.

You're welcome Keith, please post a picture when your done.

:merry-christmas::merry-christmas::merry-christmas::merry-christmas:

Your replacement decals went out yesterday so maybe you'll have 'em by Monday.

Apparently the post office thought they would try punching a hole in his package.:mad:
They got the other decals but missed "Lil Ivan".

Thanks for posting this thread.

After seeing it, I ordered a Li'l Ivan for myself which has since arrived. After reading your description of the upscaled nose cone being a Semroc BNC-80HL, I put that in my shopping cart and picked up a BT-80H tube at the LHS.

There's nothing quite like seeing someone else's efforts to point out interesting builds.

Thanks again.

PS. The upscaled Li'l Ivan decals are in my Excelsior shopping cart, too. Of course, several other sets as well,

Here it is...finally! It took almost 6 months but well worth it. Fun build! My original Semroc Lil' Ivan is about worn out and ready for big brother to take over the flying duties.

Lil Ivan Upscale (BT80).jpg

Back