Next obscenely expensive HPR kit?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil

Reaction score
I WANNA SPEND A LOAD OF MONEY!!!! :D

OK. Now that I have that over with... :D

I have been looking at LOC kits... The Bruiser spoke to me, but its so darn big.... and it costs $230. The thing is taller than my S&F, and its pretty stubby... And the 5.5" tube on my Nike Smoke looks huge... So I am not sure if I really need something 7.5" just yet....

But another 5.5" rocket would be nice... Not the Magnum, I Just dont like the way that looks... Maybe the Hyperloc 1600... But thats $250 from the LOC website... No way... Ive already got a large V2, so I guess I dont want another one of those... But... The Big Nuke looks nice.... Real nice, matter of fact... The price tag aint bad either... $170... $200 maybe once you factor in shipping... I made $200 pretty quick when I was saving up for the Nike Smoke... I can do it again... Maybe. Gulp. :D

Whats the difference between the Big Nuke and the Big Nuke 3E? Just a different size motor mount? I guess I dont need a 75MM motor mount, so I guess the standard version would be perfect....

It says it can fly on I thru K motors... I have my doubts about that thing flying on Is, after im through with it at least... I can never bring myself to under build. Its a sad weakness... You see it on all my rockets. :( ;)

Yes, $200 isnt too bad... Especially if it includes a chute.

Has anyone here build the Big Nuke? Is it a good kit? Could I do it?

Im going to wait untill my 5" Nike Smoke is all finished before I order it, if I order it, of course.

Thoughts? opinions? Pics of your Big Nuke? :)

Thanx!

I don't disagree, but on the other hand, you've got time to think about it... How often do new kits come out? (and if $200 is obscene, someone arrest me quick!) ;)

by the way, in saving all of this money to buy more kits, where does your motor money come from?

it's okay to have a lot of rockets, but they aren't rockets unless you fly them

I WANNA SPEND A LOAD OF MONEY!!!!

Okay, buy 75 Deuce's Wild, build them, then try to launch them all at the same time.. :) Just my .00000000000000000001 c... Seriously, I kinda like the Magnum too, but the HyperLOC is really cool too.

Neil,

How about the Warloc? It's a short and stubby 7.5" kit with, I think, a 38mm mount! You could probably fly that at the CMASS field all day long on I284's or I357's! Add a couple of 29mm mounts for the hey of it, and wha-la! Awesome sport rocket!

Jason

While I don't have a burning desire (yet) to own a Magnum, I can certainly understand its popularity! Big rocket with central 54mm plus 2 38mm mounts...

A guy in my club has been launching his Magnum on progressively bigger & bigger motors. Just last weekend he put it up on a Pro54 K570. WOW! And he hasn't even tried clustering it yet...

The Warlok would be cool because you should be able to easily modify it with additional MMTs (seeing how the fins don't go all the way to the MMT...)

I'll stop here as some other recommendations are kits from companies other than LOC. I guess it would help though if Neil could provide the answer to just one question:

Other than being expensive & made by LOC, what are you looking for in a kit?

HTH,

On the CF idea...

I dont wanna spend THAT much money! :D :D

What do you mean, "its only so often new kits come out"? What are you hinting at? :confused:

I dont really like stubby rockets... I like long, sleek, high performance rockets... All the rockets i have are long. The two shortest kits I have are the 4" V2 and the PML IO. The Warloc is out of the question.

i dont know why, but the Big Nuke just... Well... Speaks to me. I like it a lot. I dont know why.

The Magnum seems to be a very popular kit! :eek: :D ;) But still, I dont really like it all that much... It just doesent... Well, its hard to say it right... It just doesent look right to me. I dont like the fin shape.

If I am going to get a new 5" kit from LOC, its proabably going to be the Big Nuke.

Does the Big Nuke come with a payload bay? I should hope it does... :rolleyes: A rocket that size shuld have one...

And if the big appeal on the Magnum is the 29MM motor mounts, I can easily cut out some 29MM holes in the CRs and stick 3 extra 29MMs in there.

My mind is still open to other options, but right now I am leaning towards the Big Nuke. It has spoken to me.

Any other suggestions besides the Magnum?

....get a Magnum;) It flies good every fricken time. Every time, 29mm outboards or not.

The Big Nuke is a good kit...but the Magnum is better;)

Have you considered scratch building?

the Warloc is a good kit too...

Oh I already have other 4" scratch builds in the design stage... I have the MMT tubes coming right now, and we are getting a lathe soon, so I can make my own nosecones for them. I just want another LOC kit for some reason... I have plenty of scratch projects coming, dont worry... :D

Well, the Magnum doesent have the same kind of appeal as the Big Nuke does for me... I dont know why, I just prefer the Nuke over the Magnum...

The warloc is too stubby. Out of the question. :p :rolleyes: ;)

..still going to say Magnum....

you can always extend the Warlock....

And I have a good idea...buy motors with that money!!!! fly the Nike Smoke a few times

Originally posted by DynaSoar
Then why go with a kit?

Buy yourself 12 feet of 6" carbon compoite tube. Get some composite molding stuff and build yourself a fin can for it. Pick up a 6" glassed nose. Stick a thrust plate 5 foot from aft up the tube.

And then stick one of these in it: https://secure.consumersinterest.com/loki/store.asp?groupid=52120034052913

Go for the "P".

I like the way you think...lol...might want to throw in a gps locator too!

have you even finished the rocket you just got? I never had a magnum....but they look nice. Have fun buying the motors to put in that thing, dont forget, you buy a rocket, you use all your money, you dont have any for a motor. You buy a rocket you use most of your money, you still dont have enough for a motor.

I am still confused...didnt you just buy a rocket, crash that first then build another:p

lol. The Big Nuke might just go on hold for a while....

As some of you know, we are putting an addition on our house for my grandmother to come and live... And... They were just putting the waterproofing stuff that comes on these big rolls on the roof... And guess what size the tubes are? 5.5", 36" long, .125" thick, and strong as heck! They are almost EXACTLY the same as the tube on my Nike Smoke.

So there was only one halfway decent tube that he left out, and it had been rained on... So I took it in, and I am trying to dry it out now. It is a little warped vertically... Will it matter? This ones actually .25" thick, so its a lot heavier...

But inside what is soon to be the inlaw apartment, theres a perfectly dry tube, .125" thick, that WILL be made into a rocket... :D

Im thinking a 54MM motor mount, 3 triangular fins (similar to the Big Nuke), and possibly some 29MM outboards... Not positive on that yet, though.

No room for a conventional payload bay, though. I might ditch the outboards, and put a hatch in there instead for some electronics. Or maybe ill just make the MMT longer and have it above the outboards. With all this room in the tube, itd be a shame to only put expanding foam in there.... It calls for outboards! :D

I still have my eye on the Big Nuke, though... :D BUt, seing as I cant afford it right now... :rolleyes: Ill have to "make do" with a tube salvaged from our build site, some foam shaped on a lathe, and a touch of plywood.... ;)

Oh, and I am waiting for the outboard MMTs to come... But once they do (I expect them to come next week), it will be done very, very quickly. :D

post 1900! whoo hoo!

It sounds like you've made your choice....the Big Nuke is the one you keep coming back to. I say buy what you like but be warned, the list of what you like never seems to end....

If you aren't neccesarily looking for a "big" rocket, you could order the Hawk Mountain project pack, or two and build you a 3" dimeter rocket. They are only $90 each. Just a thought.

lol. Yes, there is never an end to THAT list... :D ;)

For now its scratch-built from a build-site tube, but later when I have money... I think ill get a Big Nuke... :)

Originally posted by Neil
For now its scratch-built from a build-site tube, but later when I have money... I think ill get a Big Nuke...

But what about that load of money burning a hole in your pocket?

Man, you'll get addicted to burning up motors in your Nike Smoke and it'll be gone in a couple seconds. I guarantee it :D

Yep... Ill go through money pretty quick buying motors...

But... I dont think I will have time or money to buy a J motor before Labor Day, and after that launch, there are no more launches untill next season for me... Unless there are winter launches this year... :( So I dont think the Smoke, the S&F, or the new 5" scratch-build will se action this year... I might be able to trade for one J350 at the Labor Day launch, and if I do, it will proabably go in the S&F. If I dont, well, ill just save up my money all winter and buy a boatload of motors in the spring... :rolleyes:

If I can make... $400 over the winter... I can buy a few J motors with that... Maybe... 3 J350s, 3 J420s, (thats a good $230 right there...) 6 H148s ($100, that comes up to $330. I like H148s... :D), and another J350. That brings it up to 4 J350s, 3 J420s, 6 H148s, $20 hazmat, $10 extra shipping whatever. THats $390. lol. I can spend money, cant I? :D

But, if I were to ONLY buy J350s... Say I can make $400-$500 over the winter... I doubt I can do that, but say I can... Say a J350 costs $40, to make the math easy... for $400-$500, I could get TEN J350s... :D Or 5 J350s and 5 J420s... :D

The possibilities are endless.

But then theres the fact that there are absolutely no lawns to mow over the winter. So I have to shovel snow to make money. Maybe $20-50 a month. For three months. Thats $150 if I make $50 a month on average. Add allowance... $6 a week... 24 a month.. Call it 25 to make the math easy... another $75 over the winter... $225... Not too bad... I could get about five J350s for that... Not too bad.

OK. Enough drooling. :rolleyes:

I can buy a few J350s if I save all winter. Spending absolutely nothing for 3 months would kill me, but, if I actually did save all winter, I could get a few J350s... :rolleyes: :D

Yes, on my fingers, on paper.... :D

Yes, of course I can. :p

was I incorrect in my numbers just now? :D ;):p

OK... I can take a hint... (I think...)

I....

A. I either made a typo, which made my math skills look terrible

B. Went on for a very long time about nothing in particular

C. Or you are commenting that its past my bedtime. Yes, I know its 1:30 in the morning, but im not tired....

So... A, B, or C?

:rolleyes: :D

B.....B......Buy a Magnum then start a new thread about it's construction.

...the longest post in this thread had nothing to do with the topic...

so in order to change that:

https://www.rocketreviews.com/reviews/kits/loc_magnum.html

Please read the Magnum reviews. My personal review is included. I own 3 Magnums: 1 stock, 1 with a 2.6" motor mount, and one with a 3" motor mount. I flew the stock version on a J460T, J350W, K670GG, and finally a J415W. The 2.6" motor mount version has flown twice on RATT K240's. Lastly, my most current Magnum and new favorite rocket, has flown on a K695R, K1275R and K600W.

All of this has led to my recommendation. Why? Because Magnums rock. A very stable rocket no matter what size motor you have in it's butt. It looks cool too, the fins are very basic and have influenced many other designs. The one need in the kit is to fiberglass the inside of the coupler, it's on the weak side.

Yes, the kit comes with 2 29mm. Did I ever use mine? No. I would recommend keeping them, though. You never know. But please, put H's in there if you are going to. E16's are not good airstarts or groundstarts.

With this being said, I want everyone who owns a Magnum or has owned one, to chime in. I want to see if anyone anywhere has had any problems with this kit. It is a truely amazing kit, and flies just as good.

So, the Magnum is perfect for you. Flies on the J350's mentioned in your previous wet dream post. Or it will take a big nasty 1750 or maybe even a 2550 if you build it right.

If you do this, I suggest buying a REAL parachute, like a Skyangle. I personally bought a 52" Skyangle for mine, but a 60" Skyangle would be better. Buy from Ken Allen and he may even take the original chute in a trade.

I hope that makes your decision easier.

Back