Next obscenely expensive HPR kit?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, Dan... tell me what you think about the LOC Magnum...

Seriously, I intend to add a Magnum to my fleet one of these days. I love that kit too, I just haven't gotten around to purchasing one yet.

You want ot spend a "load" of money...........well, buy a Hawk Mountain Proteus. That should keep you busy for a while! I talked to my principal at school and he is willing to give my....oops..."our" rocket team $1500 to get the Proteus! All he wants is for me.......oops....us to build a rocket that can go at least a mile high. I'm sure the Proteus can do that on a N2000W!!! The original idea was that I build a rocket for the school that can go at least a mile high but I decided to make it a rocket team project so I wouldn't be selfish. Well after that, our mentor has been obssesed with the Proteus for some time now, so that is what we will get. :D

i hope you are getting money for the case and load too ;)

that rocket will get up there on an M, you dont need an N

OK, ok, I went on for a while about motors... :eek:

Theres just the small fact that I dont really want a Magnum just yet... I realize its a great kit, I realize you all think I should buy one... But I dont think I am GOING to buy one just yet... Maybe later, but right now, if I buy a LOC kit, its gonna be a Big Nuke. Sorry to dissapoint everyone... :rolleyes:

"buy a REAL parachute"!?

What the heck is wrong with the ones I make!??!!?!?

Unless you are implying that the LOC chutes are no good... I dont have a problem with that, but if you were talking about MY parachutes.... :kill:

Originally posted by havoc821
You want ot spend a "load" of money...........well, buy a Hawk Mountain Proteus. That should keep you busy for a while! I talked to my principal at school and he is willing to give my....oops..."our" rocket team $1500 to get the Proteus! All he wants is for me.......oops....us to build a rocket that can go at least a mile high. I'm sure the Proteus can do that on a N2000W!!! The original idea was that I build a rocket for the school that can go at least a mile high but I decided to make it a rocket team project so I wouldn't be selfish. Well after that, our mentor has been obssesed with the Proteus for some time now, so that is what we will get. :D

Unlike you, I dont have NASA or school funds to buy Hawk Mountain kits... :rolleyes:

Originally posted by DPatell
With this being said, I want everyone who owns a Magnum or has owned one, to chime in. I want to see if anyone anywhere has had any problems with this kit. It is a truely amazing kit, and flies just as good.

Mmm, Magnums. I am giving mine a 98mm mount with three 38mm
"hipped-booster" style outboards. Its gonna be so awesome! Updates when i finally get some more glass for this thing.

I was also giving serious thought to doing a two stage Magnum. oh the possibilities.

Anyways Neil, just give it a couple months, soon you will be hopelessly infatuated with the Magnum, just you wait and see. Mwahahaha:D

Mark Stackpole did a two stager at LDRS. He flew it with us at CTRA on a K1000 Skid, sustainer only. Then he put it up on a K1275R to K1000 Skid at LDRS. 5300' if I recall correctly.

When the thermite lit the K1000, it shredded the motor mount;) Held just long enough to finish the flight. As he was walking to his sons car to go get it, the 2550 case landed about 100' in front of him, along with the back end of the motor mount!

Now THATS a motor!

Hm.... That reminds me... This should go in the LDRS Pics thread, but while we are on the subject of HPR two stagers.... Who owned that PML Quantum Leap that flew the first or second day of LDRS? I got a really nice sequence of photos going from ignition to just before staging, then just after staging....

Wow... That *IS* quite the motor!

Where do I order mine???? :D ;)

at $160 a reload, thats like 4 J350's=-O

there goes buying 10 of them or whatever

Originally posted by DPatell
Mark Stackpole did a two stager at LDRS. He flew it with us at CTRA on a K1000 Skid, sustainer only. Then he put it up on a K1275R to K1000 Skid at LDRS. 5300' if I recall correctly.

When the thermite lit the K1000, it shredded the motor mount;) Held just long enough to finish the flight. As he was walking to his sons car to go get it, the 2550 case landed about 100' in front of him, along with the back end of the motor mount!

Now THATS a motor!

Sounds like I missed quite a flight.

idk I wasnt too impressed with the skid motor, the flight was interesting though.

Maybe as a second stage it wasn't so spectacular, but at ground level they are loud, first HPR motor that I could "feel" when it went off.

Back