Next Crewed American Space Flight on May 27

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have it on my calendar. I imagine my heart will be in my throat from ignition to orbit.

I hope they nail it. We could really use a win right now.

Bridenstein was clear; he said not to come. Then the county sheriff opens his fat mouth and says they are open for business, come on down. Infinite facepalm.

Hey, just like the Mayor of that little beach town in Jaws!

Definitely! As a kid, watching those monstrous Saturn Vs go during science class, the launch of Skylab, the shuttles in high school and USAF, now Dragon, and I'll still be holding my breath. If Mother Nature will just cooperate. Dragon is supposed to dock with the ISS Thursday, May 28 at 11:29 a.m EDT, I wonder if it will be visible as a blip of light (shuttle was very distinguishable with more surface area) chasing the ISS across the night sky?

I'll be watching it online, if it's not scrubbed due wx... Exciting stuff. Great to see crewed launches in US spacecraft from Kennedy again.

Questionable for sure. I think there's a meeting at 10am to consider abandoning today's plans. I haven't heard when the next window is?

May 30 and 31

*EDIT* Nevermind...I had left this page open for a half hour before responding.

Last edited:
Have the previous dragon/crew dragon flights been visible?
The cloud cover and work has kept me from spotting other missions. Most satellites are visible when they pass over depending on the angle to the sun. I'm in Colorado Springs so there is moderate light pollution but on a clear night in the span of two hours I can witness a dozen satellites passing over head. Space shuttle trailing the ISS was almost as bright as the ISS when it went across. Dragon and ISS are suppose to dock tomorrow morning and my last observable pass for ISS is 9:15 tonight so I'll be looking up.

Last edited:
Sure hope they get to light that candle today.
Discovery Channel is having a live special starting at about noon central time hosted by Astronaut Mike Massimino

Let’s fire up those bad boys and launch them up to that space station...it’s about time! ...Boeing is still playing with its marbles at the expense of everyone!

Interesting to hear the commentator speculate about the "possibility of violating the lightning rule."

Are rules meant to be broken? Wonder what the review process is for this........

Interesting to hear the commentator speculate about the "possibility of violating the lightning rule."
Are rules meant to be broken? Wonder what the review process is for this........

It would be highly unlikely for NASA to launch into a lightening storm, or violate its own safety rules.

How long is the launch window?
If they wait an hour or two, the storm activity is forecast to subside:
https://weather.com/weather/hourbyh...c4ff94ecfbaa88bfd5f2648e64bbdecee2270a4e8c17f

Back