Newsgroups??

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WiK

Site Admin
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'll go straight to the point -----> How do I use newsgroups??? :confused: Do I need a POP3 based email for it to work or doesn't it matter? :confused:

Any help would be much appreciated,

Phil

no you don't need a pop3 account you need a nntp account and a newsgroup server account.....most ISP's provide you with one....if you want a free one check here:

https://news.individual.net/

this will provide access to RMR (rec.models.rockets) and uk.tech.rocketry but not alt.binaries.models.rockets......

hth

Outlook Express has its own built in news reader. You'll need to find out your isp's newsgroup server URL - try the online help on your isp's homepage.

If you are wise, and have ditched Outlook Express in favour of a mail reader which doesn't suck, you'll have to get a standalone news reader. Tucows will help you find one. I use freeAgent by Forte, its reasonably streightforward to use.

If your isp doesn't provide a news server, try one of the news gateways the others have suggested (I've used Google's and its OK(ish)).

HTH, and don't be affraid to drop my a PM/e-mail if you need more help, Phil.

Do heed the warnings you hear about newsgroups; uk.tech.rocketry is a pleasent place to hang out, but (nearly all) other groups can be chaotic, and full of Spam offering the usual 'enhancements' and 'tablets'. ;)

and full of Spam offering the usual 'enhancements' and 'tablets'.

LoL you obviously haven't had a Hotmail account for a while :p

I had already downloaded the freeagent thingy from Download.com before posting here, but it confused the hell outta me...

Any of you ever heard what some people call me? Mr Wafflebrains :p:p:p

Phil

Originally posted by WiK
LoL you obviously haven't had a Hotmail account for a while :p
LOL - I used to have a Hotmail account, but gave it up when I got fed up with the spam, and decided to get my own domain (cydermaster dot com, unsurprisingly). This was great for ages; until I started posting to uk.tech.rocketry, without 'marmalizing' my posting e-mail addy. The spam started in ernest, then, and hasn't let up since! :mad:

After a few months, I ditched Outlook in favour of The Bat, and installed a Baysian Spam Filter, which works a treat! :) I get about 20 genuine mails, and 70+ spam mails a day. All the genuine stuff gets through, and I'm usually left with 1 or 2 spams which avoid the filter. :kill:

[short outburst mode]
:mad: I HATE Spam! :mad:
[/short outburst mode]

I gave up hotmail for the far superior email address wikrok {at} linkinpark {dot} com

Seeing as I pay for that one, I've been very careful with it.. So far only 3 peices of junk mail since last March :D

You could also try Mail Washer... I hear that works well.

alltogether now

"spam'spam'spam'spam'spam lovely spam'wonderful spam"

helps if your dressed up as a viking:D

LOL

Hmm... Who started calling 'Junk Mail' Spam??? I mean, what kind of person names useless emails after Spiced Ham??? :p

Originally posted by WiK
Who started calling 'Junk Mail' Spam???
The people behind the protocols/code/infastructure that is the Internet (or t'Internet if you're from Bolton, or a Peter Kay fan ;) ) were BIG Monty Python fans, and so the Spam sketch (as recited by John) became synonymous (theres a big word for somebody whos just got back from the Pub) with junk mail.

The Python influence can also been found in the server-side-script world of the cgi-bin. One of php's greatest rivals is the Python language.

T'Internet founders were also big Muppet Show fans (and who isn't :D ). FTP programs are based on a program called Kermit. (Mahna Mahna)

Now im really worried....The people behind one of the most important creations in history are monty python and muppet show fans....Its all starting to make sense now:D

Originally posted by arthur dent
Now im really worried....The people behind one of the most important creations in history are monty python and muppet show fans....Its all starting to make sense now:D

Everybody on this side of the pond knows that Al Gore invented the Internet. He told us so! I'm not sure how but Hey, I believe everything the polititians tell us:eek:

"Shhh dear, don't cause a fuss. I'll have your Spam, I love it! I'm having Spam Spam Spam Spam Spam Spam Baked Beans Spam Spam and Spam!"
Bob

Back