Newest Scratch Build- AVRiS

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moocrew

Reaction score
Ok some of you have read my other thread about even and uneven fins.
Well heres the roc in living form....so far.
I'll post more pics as soon as i get the transition constructed.
Thanks to all those who helped or gave advice.
Thnx.

-matt

Please post any comments I wanna hear what everyone thinks!
:confused:

1st pic close up of bottom section showing filled spirals and transition ct ring

the pic is a bit crappy thats why the tube looks wrinkled on the side.

the motor mount.

I used fill n finish to round off the bottom to get a type of nozzle.
Its actaully incredibly smooth despite the pictures crappyness.

whole body shot

please post any opinion or whatever is one your mind about this roc.

-matt

Alright last night i made the paper transition then smoothed it out and added a very thin layer of Elmers Fill n Finish to really smooth it out.
And after about 2 min of rubbing with 0000 final finish steel wool its as smooth as glass.
I also cut out the bottom set of fins and im currently in the process of adding beveled leading edges.

-matt

Alright since i Posted last on this forum I have added both sets of bottom fins.
and am now getting ready to do the upper two sets. Will have pics posted hopefully by end of day.
PLease post and comments question or whatever I wanna hear what you think.

-matt

starting to look like a rocket, and nice bevel work on the fins too!
keep them coming!

alright i have all the fins mounted now im just waiting for the humidty to cool off outside to prime then paint.

first pic is of full bottom section.

full body shot....hard to get those small upper fins in the pic to come out real clear.

I bet putting those fins on was fun!!! The rocket looks real cool!!! Should attract a lot of attention!!! Awesome job!!!

Alright finally got around to priming.
Theres still some light sanding to do on some rough spots near the bottom but other than that this bird is ready for first coat of color.
This first pic is just a full shot.

this pic shows the bottom portion.
But Im really trying to focus on the transition.
Im really impressed with how smooth everything came out the trans. is as smooth as glass. I dare say it might be smoother than plastic.

Any opinions on paint?

ya know that doesn't seem like a bad idea does it? I might have to try that after a few launches. I still need to figure out how much nose weight i need.

As for how much nose weight to add, you should program your design into one of the simulation programs such as RockSim to get an idea of how much nose weight to add.

If you post or send me the details (fin dimensions, nose cone length, body tube/transition length and diameters, etc.) I will create a RockSim file you can view and use with the demo version of that software.

Bruce S. Levison, NAR #69055

i doubt it will need any extra nose weight...

but that's just a S.W.A.G.
:)

well space cad says that nose weight makes it slightly more UNSTABLE...go figure :rolleyes:.
I think it should be fine the way it is....sure is a lot of rear end weight thou...

-matt

Back