The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KeviMac

Reaction score
Me and my girlfriend flew our first rocket today. it was a beginner skill 1 kit and it flew beautifully. i've decided to try this hobby out and hoefully learn a lot about rocketry on here. Any info. on what to do next would be great. should i just keep flying my rocket skill1? or should i move up?

Welcome to rocketry. :)

It is personal preference on how quickly you move up in skill levels. I would probably be good to build one or two more Skill Level 1 rockets and then move up from there if you feel comfortable with you building skills. As you get comfortable with skill level two, move to skill level three, so on ans do forth. This will teach you the skills necessary to progress to more difficult builds.

Just my two cents.

Conan

Hey welcome! I'm glad to see that you enjoyed building and launching your first kit. Which one was it?

As far as which kit to build next, well, as mentioned before that's up to you. That's the great thing about this hobby, you can do quite a bit. And I bet you'll actually get more recommendations than people responding; as I'm sure individuals will have several recommendations each.

One thing I, personally, feel is way-way underrated and not promoted near enough is the National Association of Rocketry's (NAR), NAR Training Rocketeers for Experience and Knowledge (NARTREK) found here:
NARTREK. It's a phenominal model rocketry development program that allows you to select the kits you want, but simply gives you steps to build on.

Welcome to the fun world of model rocketry and welcome to TRF :) You're going to love both.

I would recommend that you build a few Skill Level 1 models, including at least one that requires you to cut your own fins, before moving on to level 2. Many skill level 2 models will require cutting skills and, in most cases, the cutting needed on level 2 kits needs to be more precise than on a skill level 1 kit.

After that, and a couple of skill level 2 kits you will begin to know yourself when you are ready to move on to skill level 3 and above.

Good luck, know you're not alone and keep us posted on what you're up to and what you need to be successful. That's why we're all here :)

jim

Welcome to the hobby you'll find lots of new friends here on TRF.

I'll echo what AK mentioned the NARTrek system is an excellent way to learn through building different types and styles of "competition" based models but don't let the word competition throw you. While the intent of the system is to encourage new modelers into the competition side of rocketry, you'll still learn a heap of important rocketry skills that will serve you well for just fun flying....and earn a few jacket patches along the way:)

I would also recommend getting a copy of G. Harry Stines "Handbook of Model Rockety" while any edition will be helpful the newest co-authored by G. Harry's son Bill Stine is available through most book sellers, the NARTs store, Quest Aerospace, and can be found in most libraries as well;) While there are other folks books out there the Handbook is really the best single source for just about all things rocket related:)

Again Welcome to Model Rocketry.

Welcome to your new addiction! The neat thing about this hobby is you can have just as much fun building and flying skill 1 rockets as you can skill 3 or higher. Once you've been at this a while, you'll find yourself with a collection of rockets of all skill levels. The techniques and finishing skills you will learn on your skill 3 rockets can be applied to new skill 1 kits you get, resulting in fantastic looking models. I second the vote on the book by Stine, (something that's usually available at a library as well) and you might take a look at the Apogee rockets website for great online resources and printed books as well.

Thanks guys for the warm welcome! The kit i launched was a estes ready-to-fly starter set. It flew quite a ways. 600 ft. I was just so amazed at the whole thing that this could be one of the coolest hobbies I've attempted to take up lol. But i will deff. keep you guys posted on how everything goes. Thanks for the welcome again!

Welome to the ranks of BP (black powder) junkies...
:cheers:

As for you next kit (actually "kits" since you are one of us now), build/fly what catches your fancy. If you want to enhance your building skills, pick up a kit that is a little above your level of expertise and consider it a learning experience.

You are so fortunate to be entering the hobby at this point in time. There are so many different manufacturers offering such a broad spectrum of kits, not like the Ole' days when there was just Centuri and Estes. Not saying they didn't offer cool kits, but not nearly as wide an assortment as is available today. Right now you can go to the web and order almost any sized rocket, from a 1/4" diameter MicroMaxx to a fiberglass behemoth a foot in diameter.

Welcome aboard, and enjoy the ride!

...and you'r way ahead of many knowing already that Skill level 1 and Certification Level 1 are two different things.

Enjoy it, especially if your girlfriend is into it. Take your time. There is no race to get to the end as there is no end. It's all limited by how much you want to spend;)

Where are you? Someone will most likely invite you to an organized launch.

Gary
SEARS572

im located shoreline connecticut. yea i get paid tomorrow so im looking for something cool but not too hard to build. any suggestions?

Try the Estes Guardian - it's an easy build but looks really cool with its transition from a thicker aft airframe to a thinner forward one. The three sets of fins look nice too and will give you a little building challenge getting them all lined up straight. It will offer you some opportunity to gain skill at masking, painting etc. if you follow the stock paint scheme.

Welcome, this is an amazing community you've joined, not only the hobby, but this forum as well

When Dave said:
... It's all limited by how much you want to spend;)
That's not just cash, but time, energy and frustration on occasion.

As for suggestions, it kinda depends on where and how you buy your kits. If it's from the local hobby store, you might be a little limited. But check the banner ads at the top of the page, these are all folks who sponsor our site and they all have very good kits from beginner to expert and everyone in between.
And don't be afraid to ask questions, everyone is always willing to help.

KeviMac,

When you get the urge to try some different kits, there are gobs of appropriate Estes designs out there. Download their catalog online and scan through the front parts to get an idea of the variety. If there are Hobby Lobby stores near you, they run 40%-off coupons frequently (HobLob usually has bunches of kits and motors) and you may want to wait a bit until the next coupon (check their website). Other craft stores like Michaels also have discount coupons, altho not all the stores in their chain carry rocketry supplies. And peek into your local hobby shop, they may have something for you.

There are also a few other "big" companies out there selling rocketry stuff, like Quest. They have a good line of kits, reasonable prices, and they also make their own blackpowder rocket motors (some people like Quest motors better than Estes!). Apogee has a lot of stuff too.

When you are ready, step out and order some goodies from Fliskits or any of our other great vendors. You will quickly get lots of recommendations for these kits, and you can't hardly go wrong with any of them. These guys are all seriously "into" rocketry and will give you amazing product support.

Come on back often and ask all the questions you want, and don't be bashful. Everybody here is pretty good about answering without making fun of you...at least, not too much, until you really deserve it for doing something like forgetting to use the protective wadding or something.

BTW, if you want to get up to speed a bit quicker, there is an extensive vocabulary of rocketry terms over at EMRR. There is a big list of plans for old rockets at JimZ's website and at YORF (ye old rocket forum). There are gobs of old catalogs and reports at ninfinger. Basically, your reading list begins over at https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=539 (if you haven't been there already)

We're glad you decided to join in the fun!

Last edited:
Welcome!! I agree that apogeerockets.com is a great website to learn more about the hobby. Check out the instructional videos. These will help you quickly improve your building skills.

Welcome!!

Click on the archive button in the upper right corner, there is a ton of info there. TRF had a major hiccup about 15 months ago and TRF 2.0 (what you see today) has only been up about a year.

As far as gaining skill I highly recommend the Fliskit Skill level 1 and 1.5 kits I've built a few with my nieces (as first and second kits) and they are very nice. And teach a lot. And Jim Flis is right in your back yard with you being in Connecticut

KeviMac, where on the shoreline?

Take a look at CATO Rockets,
https://www.catorockets.org

There is a launch in Salem, Ct Saturday.
I will be joining them there for the first time (again).

Learn from your experience, learn from others experiences.
Welcome

Wm.

Back