newbie 2 stage question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyberyokel

Reaction score
Hope nobody minds the newbie question, I'll be glad to learn of other places I could find the answer to this.

I've done the Estes starter Kit thing, and just built my first 2 -stage kit (Estes Mongoose). To launch it I need some tape to hold the two engines together - I've seen this described as Cellophane tape or (3M) Fragile Tape but I can't find anywhere that sells anything that sounds like the right thing (we're not talking ordinary sellotape here, are we ?). Any suggestions on actual products or likely suppliers gratefully received ! I'm in the UK.

Had a great time launching the starter kit with my godchildren, we're all looking forward to the Mongoose.

First of all, welcome to the forum. We really enjoying seeing people from outside the U.S. It adds a nice dash of international flavor which is always refreshing.

As far as what tape to use to tape the engines together - yes, ordinary Scotch tape will work just fine. I usually use the 3/4" wide variety.

Please let us know how your Mongoose launch goes. We love hearing about Launch reports. If you can get pictures, that is a big plus as well.

- Ken

Welcome and this is a good place for any type of question.

To answer, yes, Scotch tape is fine.

I would suggest using Magic Tape as you will need as much Magic as possible when flying the Mongoose.

My experience with the kit is extremely poor, as can be read here in my review

Others have had positive results. I hope yours are. Let us know.

- Nick

I spent a some time in England so I know the translation. They are talking about sellotape. It works very well.

My experience with the mongoose was good, although it did not last as long as I had hoped. The plastic fins on the top stage will start to warp after a couple of launches.

Good luck, I love two stage rockets.

Yes, the Rogue Aerospace Crossfire is a nice, cool looking two-stage.

The Quest Zenith looks good to me, although I've never flown one.

I also liked the OOP Custom Lightnin' for 24mm staging.

The problem I have with 2-stage rockets is the altitude at our little field. But they are neat to be able to watch.

Nick

BTW, you don't need a lot of sellotape. I usually just barely make it 1 wrap around. Sometimes I only go 3/4 of the way.

- Nick

That's great everyone, thanks for the welcome and thanks again for the advice.

It actually looks like we're going to get some good weather for a few days (it happens occaisionally, even here) so I hope to give it a try at the weekend. I'll let you know how it goes.

Back