New Way Too Square

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoachSteve

Reaction score
So, My 6 year old Nephew is literally obsessed with Rubik's cubes. He has 30+ varieties in his collection and at 6 years old can tell / show you how to solve 2x2, 3x3 and 4x4 cubes as well as Pyramids and various other odd cubes. His 7x7 ans 9x9 cubes are a bit out of his grasp just yet but its only a matter of time.

Anyway, for Christmas I am getting him an Estes starter kit (easy assemble rocket, pad and launcher, His Dad cain't wait :) ).

And of course I couldn't help myself, so, I built him a special rocket to begin his collection with.
Hope you like it, It was a fun build.
The New Way kits are truly top notch in the low power space, I have not seen a kit with the attention to detail as the New Way stuff. Everything from marking guides, motor mount depth gauge, kevlar cord and round bungee shock cord, just really well put together kit.

qSuWCc4.jpg

JTtIDWR.jpg

tPXf5OT.jpg

sqI39HE.jpg

Very cool. I have two built unflown kits from them. I just went on their site. I don't see the one you made. Do they still sell?

......Did you glue a perfectly good cube to the nose or is it removable for flight......

Gripe aside, very nice rocket, hopefully it'll help propel him onto a productive set of interests and career

Rick, the owner of New Way is a nice guy. He shows up at our weekly club meetings at eRockets a few times a year. He lives in Indiana and it is a bit of a drive to eRockets, but he came to our Christmas party last year. He gave every member of our club who was at the party a New Way Too Square. Its a great rocket and I now have two of them.

New Way is another one of our small, one man operations that we see a lot of in this hobby. I haven't seen him in a while, but he was having some issues that impacted his ability to produce kits. Nothing life threatening, but an issue that caused him problems. Our Christmas party is on Tuesday and I hope he can make it again this year.

I had contact with Rick recently that suggests that he's getting back in the swing of things. I hope so, because New Way is certainly a unique contributor to the hobby.

Outstanding.
I love the nose weight (added for stability I'm sure).
Your nephew's uncle is a pretty cool guy.

s6

......Did you glue a perfectly good cube to the nose or is it removable for flight......

Gripe aside, very nice rocket, hopefully it'll help propel him onto a productive set of interests and career

The "perfectly good cube" is now a permanent part of a perfect one of a kind nose cone :)

There are 3 New Way Too Square kits available through Amazon right now and at least one on EBAY.

For those who want to build a truly exceptional kit.

There are 3 New Way Too Square kits available through Amazon right now and at least one on EBAY.

For those who want to build a truly exceptional kit.
Plus three showing in stock at erockets:
https://www.erockets.biz/newway-flying-model-rocket-kit-too-square-nwy-23/

Coach, a question for you: there was a very recent thread where the OP asked if this model should have more than one centering ring . Apparently his kit only came with one and there was nothing to seal off the blowby ejection gases from venting out the body tube cutouts, and he had a deployment failure:
https://www.rocketryforum.com/threa...f-the-new-way-too-square-model-rocket.149455/
So, can you tell me how the upper part of the stuffer tube is centered and sealed from the main tube? Logic would tell me that there should be two or three centering rings.

There are two centering rings, or rather centering squares. One at the bottom below the fin attachment points, and a second one much higher up, just above the cutouts. If you look at the photo carefully you will see the motor mount tube extends all the way through the section with the cutouts. The upper centering square would be positioned just below the "R" in Rubic's and that sealed section is where the parachute would be stored.

The ejection gasses can't come out the holes in the body tube as they aren't vented to that area. It sounds like someone built their rocket incorrectly if they had an ejection failure.

The three on Amazon ship from eRockets. When shopping on Amazon you should always look to see where the items ship from. If not direct from Amazon I will go directly to the vendor and see if I can order from them and bypass Amazon.

Zeus, thanks for the information. I have relayed it to the OP. As far as intermediary retailers, I would add to check the whole price, including shipping before ordering. Case in point, this very model is selling on Ebay by erockets at a discount (Buy it Now) but at full price on the erockets website. Shipping is also less on Ebay. Cheers.

A lot of small retailers have a limited number of products on eBay and Amazon just to get new customers. Essentially they are loss leaders as eBay and Amazon get a nice cut from each order. Paying the fees to these portals is not sustainable in the long run so the hope is that you order from them directly on future orders.

The kit I received/built had only one square centering ring that attached the top of the motor tube and then to the square body tube just above the cutouts. This of course makes a sealed chamber for the chute. The bottom of the engine tube is held centered in the square body tube by the 4 fin tabs. The fins adhere to the body tube on the outside and the fin tabs go straight to the motor tube. I then added glue to the inside of the body tube where the tabs came through (internal filet).

The kit I received/built had only one square centering ring that attached the top of the motor tube and then to the square body tube just above the cutouts. This of course makes a sealed chamber for the chute. The bottom of the engine tube is held centered in the square body tube by the 4 fin tabs. The fins adhere to the body tube on the outside and the fin tabs go straight to the motor tube. I then added glue to the inside of the body tube where the tabs came through (internal filet).
Thanks Coach! That explains things. Will inform the OP of the other thread.

Back