New Way "Square" HoJo Kitbash

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lowga

A.K.A. 'Mr. HoJo'
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of the square rocket designs from New Way Space Models.

https://www.newwayspacemodels.com

I've always enjoyed building their kits. In fact, I just ordered their new MMX offering. But I've always been disappointed that they haven't produced a kit of the most wonderful rocket of all, the Honest John.

When looking through my build pile earlier today, I happened to spy a couple of unbuilt kits from New Way, and a moment of inspiration hit. The nose cone on their (discontinued) Firecat 4 kit looks a lot like a "square" version of the HoJo's iconic front end. Alas, the fins look nothing like them. While I was considering making my own fins out of balsa, I noticed another kit from New Way. The Q-Bee rocket.

Can you see it? The fins are not quite right--but they are close. Paint this thing flat olive green, and slap a US Army decal on it--and I think it instantly becomes recognizable as a square version of the HoJo. New Way Space Models, are you listening? Make this kit, take my money!

Meanwhile, I'm going to get cracking on this kitbash. Any suggestions on how to improve it?

NW Firecat 4 Build 51A.JPG

NewWay_Space_Models_Q_Bee_square_rocket__91201.1371415361.1280.1280.jpeg NW Firecat 4 Build 51A.JPG NewWay_Space_Models_Q_Bee_square_rocket__91201.1371415361.1280.1280.jpeg

Back