New Way Sky Fighter Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

les

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Decided to also post an abbreviated build thread for the New Way Sky Fighter kit.

New Way sells an interesting line of rockets based on square tubes.
Their kits also come with various extras to make the build easier, such as sand paper, emery board, ruler (well - a ruled markings printed on paper), Q-tip to spread glue, and even a knot tying guide.

Similar to the Satellite Interceptor thread, I already started the build (sorry). I like working on multiple kits at the same time so when a part is drying on one kit, I can be working on the other. You will notice the fins are already papered.

IMG_1971.jpg

Here you can see how I "masked" the fin before papering so I would have be gluing to wood to the body tube directly, and not via the paper.

IMG_1962.jpg

Their motor mount is a bit the same, but also a bit different

Again there is the measure, slit the tube, and install the engine hook. They provide a length of Kevlar thread that is tied around the motor tube to secure the recovery system. The two differences is the centering "rings" are square, so you need to be careful and make sure they line up with each other so they will fit in the tube. The second difference is they provide a section of heat shrink tubing to protect the Kevlar

IMG_1974.jpg

Huh! Square body tube? Whodda thunk? Yes, I live under a rock. I'll keep an eye on this.--H

I love the added extras, what a way to make a fun kit. Looking to buy this one.

I like the idea of putting a short section of heat shrink tubing over the Kevlar. I'm just finishing up a U.S. Rockets "Duel 18mm Rear Eject" and I wish I had found out about using the heat shrink tubing earlier in the build.

New Way has a whole line of square rockets. They all fly well. My favorite is the N20 Demon, one of the 24mm kits. We usually get to see the prototype testing at ROCI's launches in Muncie.

The square tubes do have some large seams. It was visible in my parts picture I had already used some FnF on the tube.

Even the launch lugs are square! Using their marking guide I drew the alignment lines and have them attached. For symmetry, they provide 2 pair so they look like part of the fighter.

IMG_1976.jpg

Once the glue for the lugs was dry, the stabilizer fins are attached

IMG_1979.jpg

I keep forgetting New Way has these friggin cool square things. What's the most reliable place to get them? Erockets?

Plus more CFD practice to try and narrow pin down their CP!

Ran into an issue with the wings.

First you sand a bevel on the "root edge" where the two wing fins will join (meet in the center). Then you glue them to the body.

BUT - the square tubes are not truly square, they bulge a bit in the center. I attempted to sketch this to show the issue. The bulge in my drawing is greatly exaggerated.

square tube.jpg

I found I needed to cradle the body tube on my lap and glue both wings on at the same time using both hands to align the bevels and the wings to the tube. Due to the bulge, there is a gap between the wing and the tube at the edge.

IMG_1980.jpg

They provide a cut out canopy that you need to fold up and glue on. They nicely provide 2 in case you mess one up. Fortunately, I got it right the first time so I now have a spare. This one is going a lot better than my SI build.

IMG_1983.jpg

jealous, they are out of stock on this one. Its by far one of their best looking models.

Looking really good. dare 2 b square. Love the little square plate rocket they sell too.

Ordered mine today. Will post pics when finished.

Last edited:
Found I had some overspray of the grey onto the white. Had to wait the magical 48 hours (plus weather) and finally got to touch up the white today.

Now another 48 hours (at least) and I can decal it

Well, been more than 48 hours - needed to work overtime

Plus I find I need to spread decaling out over a couple of nights. Put a bunch on, wait and let them dry, then do more (or else I mess up the early ones)

Final pix

IMG_2020.jpg IMG_2021.jpg

That's turning out nice. Mine is still in the bag, waiting on a few build items before I start.

Their motor mount is a bit the same, but also a bit different

Again there is the measure, slit the tube, and install the engine hook. They provide a length of Kevlar thread that is tied around the motor tube to secure the recovery system. The two differences is the centering "rings" are square, so you need to be careful and make sure they line up with each other so they will fit in the tube. The second difference is they provide a section of heat shrink tubing to protect the Kevlar

View attachment 309319

Thanks Les for posting this. I never considered shrink tubing for protecting the Kevlar
I like it!

Back