New Way Micro Square One

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjkopena

Rocketship Games
TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of New Way Space Models' kits and recently put together their Micro downscale of their Square One. Haven't seen many pictures around, so here are a couple and a gratuitously over-produced launch video.

PXL_20210906_195729988.jpg

The rocket all together & ready to go in its official livery (no painting, just stickers).

PXL_20210822_172518968.jpg

Close up on the printed components. You can tell they're FDM, the layering, spirals, and lines are visible. But these are very very nicely printed. Exceptionally smooth for FDM and very thin, with fine mechanical details like the launch lugs and fin slots. I'd guess a single coat of paint would hide the layers of the tubes, and some light sanding the lines on the fin surfaces. But none of it's visible from any distance anyway.

The instructions do make clear the printing is in PLA, so don't leave it in a hot car, etc.. But the tube is insulated from the burning motor by a standard paper motor mount tube. I also wouldn't expect and haven't seen any thermal effects from the modest MMX ejection charge, provided your nosecone isn't stuck on.

Unfortunately, I regret to report that the launch lugs are round, so the excellent warning on the bigger kit to beware the motor mount, the only dangerously circular part in the original rocket, doesn't really apply here. But they're so tiny as to be barely visible so I'll let this heresy slide.

View attachment YouCut_20210906_200206535.mp4

Just like the full size Square One, the Micro flies well and is a crowd pleaser. Everybody loves the distinctive squarishness, and the Micro's brightly colored plastic and tiny size just emanates "fun toy."

Quick & fun to assemble, a nice looking desk display model, and a good flyer, I recommend it.

Last edited:
Back